Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter for Mac OS X
iGetting downloading "login page" not the subsequent item I want?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

01-13-2008 03:29 AM

Posted by:
GregH

Find more posts by GregH

Hi,

I'm still stuck with getting the authentication working. It seems at the moment what is being downloaded is the login page. So:

- add URL to iGetter (noting site manager has been configured with login/password)

- note that the login page is downloaded (this I guess makes sense as doesn't iGetter have to log on)

Doesn't this mean iGetter is downloading the login page where in fact it should be waiting for the subsequent follow-up item to work on AFTER the login page step? (i.e. the item to be downloaded).

Is this the way iGetter is meant to work (by filling in the login page), or does it expect some Firefox integration via cookies somehow, for which then I should try to fault find in this area?

Any fault finding tips, additional info you would require to assist?

Thanks in advance

01-15-2008 08:01 PM

Posted by:
GregH

Find more posts by GregH

Hi 'iGetter Support' - would it be possible for you to respond on this one please. Sorry but I'm hitting a brick wall.

01-22-2008 04:34 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

iGetter downloads files and if provided sends authorization information as a Basic HTTP Authentication. The authorization info saved in the Site Manager is not useful for web sites that use a login web page. You can recognize that some site uses HTTP Authentication if you receive a "401 Authorization required" error written in the Segments tab panel.

However, most of the sites that use a login web page store your authentication info in a cookie which iGetter can send to them.

What you can try:
1. Turn on the iGetter "Integrate with Internet browsers" Tools menu function
2. Login to the web site and use the save password option if possible
3. Click on the download link/button. It should appear in iGetter.
4. If you use the FlashGot extension for Firefox, before you start the download in iGetter, open its "Item Settings" dialog and choose for cookie source "Firefox"
5. If you used FlashGot don't close the browser until iGetter finishes the file

Regards,
iGetter Support

01-26-2008 08:29 AM

Posted by:
GregH

Find more posts by GregH

Hi,

Still no luck.

Re "open its "Item Settings" dialog and choose for cookie source "Firefox"

Q1 - When I select firefox here it does not auto-populate the cookie field which is underneath? Is this an issue?

Q2 - How can I tell whether the cookie is being sent or not? (i.e. noting things still aren't working)

Q3 - If I do get it working then one would need a way to defaulting the cookie to "Firefox" else it would be quite an overhead to set each each time for every item. What is possible here? or am I missing something?

Thanks
Greg

PS. sorry - as there are no email notifications I didn't notice your response until now

01-29-2008 06:53 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Greg,
1. Did you add the download (clicking on the download link/button) through the first three points mentioned in our previous post or through FlashGot?

2. If it's a public site, post a test URL so we can find where the problem is hidden.

3. If it's a file sharing service like rapidshare.com you can search the forum for solutions. Note that most file sharing services require a premium account that allows you to use download managers.

4. At last, did you ask the site owners if it's possible to download from their site with a download manager?

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply