Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter for Mac OS X
Invalid Cyrillic characters processing...
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

04-30-2008 08:13 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

Find more posts by Andrey Kazak

Hallo!

I'm trying to download file named using Cyrillic characters from ftp server. The link is provided to me in the following format:

"ftp://ftp.test.ru/test/%C4%C5%D2%C5%CA%D2%C8%C2/%CE%CF%C0%D1%CD%C0%DF%20%CF%CE%C3%CE%CD%DF.avi"

After this link is added to iGetter's Downloads list the item name is incorrectly processed by iGetter as "%CE%CF%C0%D1%CD%C0%DF%20%CF%CE%C3%CE%CD%DF.avi" :

But the correct display of this file's name is like this:

I there any way to fix it?

05-01-2008 03:50 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Currently, iGetter doesn't decode the escape characters when generates a file name in the "New URL" dialog.

In the future versions we may improve that.

05-02-2008 09:29 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

Please do it as soon as possible...

As you make this improvement, I certainly buy the iGetter and advice it to few friends of mine!

When are you going to do this?

05-03-2008 11:00 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Actually the above URL is not properly encoded. For it's encoded with a Cyrillic encoding, probably Cyrillic (KOI8-R).
An URI that includes non ASCII characters must be encoded with UTF8 as stated in the respective RFC.

In example, try the following URL in iGetter or Safari (Downloads) : "ftp://ftp.host.com/%D0%9E%D0%9F%D0%90%D0%A1%D0%9D%D0%90%D0%AF%20%D0%9F%D0%9E%D0%93%D0%9E%D0%9D%D0%AF.avi"

Now you will receive proper cyrillic name for the file.

iGetter already decodes non ASCII URLs, and I apologize for the misinformation in the previous post.

05-04-2008 05:52 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

But I have the URL in this form:

"ftp://ftp.test.ru/test/%C4%C5%D2%C5%CA%D2%C8%C2/%CE%CF%C0%D1%CD%C0%DF%20%CF%CE%C3%CE%CD%DF.avi"

What is the solution?
How to tell iGetter to encode this URL properly?

05-14-2008 04:00 PM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

Any ideas???

05-16-2008 09:46 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Andrey,
It seems that your case is a little more complicated because the URLs that you want to download are not in UTF-8 encoding. The easiest way is to ask server owner to use UTF-8, otherwise you will need some file renamer such as "A Better Finder Rename": http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/, an AppleScript like this: http://homepage.mac.com/tkurita/scriptfactory/Softwares/OSAX/URIEscape/manual/en/index.html or an Automator Finder action like this one: http://automatoractions.com/files/regexfilerenamer0.1.html.

May be an advanced AppleScript or Automator user/developer may help here.

Regards,
iGetter Support

05-25-2008 09:32 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

OK!

Lets take UTF-8 percent-encoded URI:

"ftp://ftp.host.com/%D0%9E%D0%9F%D0%90%D0%A1%D0%9D%D0%90%D0%AF%20%D0%9F%D0%9E%D0%93%D0%9E%D0%9D%D0%AF.avi"

How does iGetter know that it's cyrillic characters?

Proper UTF-8 percent-encoded cyrillic characters should be in range %D080 - %D3BF, isn't it?

05-26-2008 02:37 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

All right!
I see that %XX%YY is processed by iGetter as %XXYY, i. e. as one character code.

So...

I receive a link:

ftp://ftp.su29.ru/videofilms/%C4%C5%D2%C5%CA%D2%C8%C2/%CE%CF%C0%D1%CD%C0%DF%20%CF%CE%C3%CE%CD%DF.avi

I discovered that it has a Cyrillic encoding WIN-1251. Somehow I converted this URI to UTF-8 encoding:

ftp://ftp.su29.ru/videofilms/%D0%94%D0%95%D0%A2%D0%95%D0%9A%D0%A2%D0%98%D0%92/%D0%9E%D0%9F%D0%90%D0%A1%D0%9D%D0%90%D0%AF%20%D0%9F%D0%9E%D0%93%D0%9E%D0%9D%D0%AF.avi

I paste the latter to iGetter and it displayed right Cyrillic characters in Name field:

After that I start downloading and look inSegments section:

As you can see in lower part of the picture, Cyrillic characters in log window of Segments section do not displayed correctly, i. e. as in upper part of picture...

Can you fix this?

05-31-2008 01:35 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

Are you planning to fix it?

06-03-2008 07:24 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Andrey,
You can't just change the encoding of some URL and expect it to work. This is a work of the server owner which uses WIN-1251 instead of UTF8.

Since the URL is password protected and we can't reproduce the problem (this is the first report of such kind) I can't add it to the iGetter To Do list. If you have a public example that reproduces the problem please write to http://www.igetter.net/igetterfeedback.html. This is the only way to post a bug report for iGetter.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

06-04-2008 10:13 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

Here is public URL to download:

ftp://81.200.8.105/%D0%A2%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%8F%20%D0%BF%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%BA%D0%B0/%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%88%D0%BE%D0%B9%20%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9%20%D1%84%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BB.zip

The link is in UTF-8 encoding. FTP server send information in UTF-8 encoding.
iGetter displays right Cyrillic characters in Name field:

After start of downloading the Segments section appears like this:

As you can see in lower part of the picture, Cyrillic characters in log window of Segments section are not displayed (encoded) correctly, i. e. as in upper part of picture...

Also if you try to open ftp://81.200.8.105 in Site Explorer you would see this:

As you can see in lower part of the picture, Cyrillic characters in log window of Content section are not displayed correctly, i. e. as in upper part of picture...

Have you reproduced it?

P.S. Could please try to do it ASAP because I can maintain the server for a long time...

06-05-2008 03:37 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Andrey,
We tested the ftp://81.200.8.105 and found that iGetter downloads well the "Big test file.zip" as shown in the picture you posted. iGetter segment's log shows all characters in ASCII format, but this is the way it sends them to the server. This is not a bug in iGetter encoding, you just can't read them properly. However, I added a note in the iGetter To Do list that iGetter should use Unicode charters in the segment's log so the users may read it.

As of Site Explorer "Preview" panel. It's just a WebKit panel which we use to show HTML pages. If you open the ftp://81.200.8.105 address in Safari (which uses WebKit) or Firefox you will see that they can't handle Cyrillic characters on FTP servers.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

06-05-2008 07:18 PM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

quote:
As of Site Explorer "Preview" panel. It's just a WebKit panel which we use to show HTML pages. If you open the ftp://81.200.8.105 address in Safari (which uses WebKit) or Firefox you will see that they can't handle Cyrillic characters on FTP servers.

If I open ftp://81.200.8.105 address in Safari it redirects my request to Mac OS X "Connect to Server" utility and opens ftp in new Finder window. The Cyrillic characters are handled correctly in the window.

06-06-2008 04:54 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Indeed, Safari opens that FTP site in the Finder where you can see Cyrillic chars, because Finder handles them. (I'm not sure if it worked for you, but I was unable to open the Cyrillic folder and download the file. It appeared empty.)

I'm talking about the WebKit HTML renderer which we use. In fact, it's unnecessary to show anything in the preview panel for FTP sites. In the old versions of iGetter it showed the file date and size, but now all that info appears in the "Site Explorer" table. So we will decide what should appear in the preview panel for FTP sites.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

06-06-2008 08:18 AM

Posted by:
Andrey Kazak

quote:
...but I was unable to open the Cyrillic folder and download the file. It appeared empty.

I could enter into Cyrillic named folder and see Cyrillic named file, but I Finder didn't allow me to drag the file on my Desktop!
I think this is a Finder bug...

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply