Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter for Mac OS X
how to not use igetter
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

09-20-2008 10:54 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by nandita

I've used igetter and think it's a very nice program. But I've now wasted too much time by downloading a program incompletely four or five timess. I've followed useful suggestions given in this forum for adjusting the settings, but without success. Now I'd like to just download it without igetter. However, I can't seem to be able to do that. igetter takes it over. I don't really want to uninstall igetter, but I can't seem to make it not take over the download., even though I tried to erase all the preferences, almost all; It disallowed unhecking the takeover. What to do to getting igetter out of the way, temporarily. Also, howabout uninstalling; how to do that?
Thanks in advance.

09-25-2008 05:25 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

You can uninstall iGetter by starting the "Uninstall iGetter" app located in the iGetter application folder. Then if you start iGetter it will install its browser components again.

In your case the best choice is the FlashGot extension for Firefox ( When you install it turn off the iGetter "Integrate with Internet browsers" Tools menu function. FlashGot will add an option to download the file with iGetter on the Firefox "Save As" dialog.

iGetter Support

10-16-2008 11:45 PM

Posted by:

Find more posts by Mike

if want to bypass download
i mean sometimes i want to download without igetter? btw no similar like flashgot for Safari??

10-27-2008 06:29 PM

Posted by:

Find more posts by TJ

Relatrd issue

How can I get iGetter NOT to download certain files? Everytime I click a .pdf or .cgi file iGetter takes over and tries to down load them insteadof letting me just view them in Firefox. I've prowled through all the preferences and settings. and can't find anything approriae. I also tried to disable iGetter and dis-integrate it from the browser but it won't quit. What next?

10-28-2008 07:21 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

It seems that you need to uninstall all copies of iGetter from your machine and then install and configure it again. To uninstall iGetter first quit all browsers and then do one of the following:

1. Write "iGetter" in the search box of any Finder window (on Leopard you have to add "System Files" filter to find all items - see this and delete whatever you find.

2. OR you can manually remove the following files:

<Home folder>/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/iGetter Plugin
<Home folder>/Library/InputManagers/iGetterIMBundle
<Home folder>/Library/Contextual Menu Items/iGetterCMPlugIn
<Home folder>/Library/Preferences/iGetter
<Home folder>/Library/Application Support/iGetter

If you want to empty the trash immediately you have to restart your machine. Note that if you want to keep your downloads and history items don't delete the "<Home folder>/Library/Application Support/iGetter" folder.

Then install iGetter from the dmg available on our site and don't turn on the "Integrate with Internet browsers" Tools menu function (it's off by default). Finally install the FlashGot extension for Firefox (

iGetter Support

P.S.: The option that you're looking for is the file types list available at iGetter preferences, Integration panel. Just remove the pdf and cgi extensions.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply