Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter for Mac OS X
start a download from middle of file? from iTunes application?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

01-30-2009 08:12 PM

Posted by:
Rachel

Find more posts by Rachel

Sometimes I wish to download only part of a file, perhaps from the middle to end. I've heard a clue that this is possible.

For example, on Starship Sofa, the Aural Delights is often very long and sometimes I only want part of it.

The real REASON for this question is the following: I started the download on iGetter, but added it to iTunes when it was still partial, didn't notice that and deleted the original iGetter file. Tried to pick up from the broken link connecting to the file which is now in iTunes, so I wouldn't have to start from the beginning again, but iGetter didn't follow through.

The reason for all these shenanigans is that I'm either on ultra-slow dialup, or fast but metered satellite isp.

Thanks for the answers from both questions.

02-03-2009 04:39 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Rachel,
Theoretically it's possible to start your download at any point, but iGetter has no such option and it's no so easy to do it changing prefs information for that file. This seems a feature of another product like streaming downloader which iGetter is not yet.

While iGetter downloads some file it uses an additional resource information attached to that file. Without that information iGetter can't run the download. You can recognize if it exists when you double click on some file. If it appears in iGetter then the attached resource is there.

However, if you want to listen some mp3 file while iGetter downloads it you can drag and drop it on iTunes. When it stops playing, delete it from iTunes and drag and drop the file again. It seems that VLC is a more convenient player for your case, because you can even play the same mp3 file while iGetter downloads it.

Regards,
iGetter Support

02-04-2009 08:14 PM

Posted by:
Rachel

Find more posts by Rachel

streaming download

Thanks for letting me know that some other programs do it. Other than that I'm very happy with iGetter.

R.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply