Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter for Mac OS X
scheduling issue, when URLs contain a parameter specific to previous session???
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

06-03-2009 03:33 PM

Posted by:
Greg

Find more posts by Greg

Hi,

How in iGetter could I handle the situation when, given:
(a) web site requires authentication
(b) when you add a link to the scheduler for a download item, it contains a URL parameter that seems to act as session key (i.e. it changes when you subsequently login)
(c) login session can time out whilst scheduled downloads are occurring

Some ideas that come to mind, not sure if they're doable, include:
(a) trigger re-authentication when required (would need to test this wasn't still an issue given the session key which is stored in the history URLs)?
(b) ability to modify the URL parameter key stored manually?

So in summary I'm asking is there a way in iGetter to handle this situation?

tks

06-05-2009 09:37 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Greg,
URLs that expire are created just for this to expire after some period of time. So such kind of downloads can't be scheduled for later downloading. The intention of their providers is just that.

However, it appears that some of the session URLs redirect to permanent URLs that don't expire. Since iGetter always uses the last redirected URL, you may start such downloads for a short time, then pause them and use the schedule function. Note that this may or may not work depending on the session algorithm used by the site owners.

Also, in most of the cases you can replace (using the "Items Settings" dialog) the old URL with a fresh one from the same site and iGetter will resume your download just fine. There are some exceptions though, for example if the cookie also expires (VMWare used such method recently).

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply