< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

08-04-2009 10:30 PM

Posted by:
YAZombie

Find more posts by YAZombie

Hi,
With the Snow Leopard flavour of Safari being programed in 64 bits, I've had the opportunity to discover that the corresponding iGetter plug-in doesn't work anymore, unless launching Safari in 32 bits, which seems a little awkward to say the least.
That called to my attention that iGetter seems to be developed and relying on rather "old" technologies that could make it totally obsolete very rapidly in the near future, unless it adopts more modern technologies (I guess Cocoa would be a must, but I'm no developer).
So, I guess I'll receive the usual - and pretty annoying - speech about you not commenting on products to come (which so much resembles disrespect to customers), but I was wondering whether you had any news for us on the future of your product?
Thanks in advance. Best regards.

08-14-2009 07:57 PM

Posted by:
Eureka

Find more posts by Eureka

Obsolete

Well, I guess the lack of answer to YAZombie's question is to be interpreted as one could fear: iGetter will very (very!) soon be impossible to use on modern MacOS X systems.
And that means that people shouldn't spend their money on it any longer, lest one spent money for nothing.
Thanks for the information you provided your paying customers…

08-17-2009 07:53 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Bruno,
As a paid customer you can always ask for support using our feedback form (http://www.igetter.net/feedback.html). This forum is intended only for users who want to share their experience. It's not intended for paid customers.

Snow Leopard currently is available only for ADC members and YAZombie clearly have written that he is not a developer. After all what is his question and why we should answer his assumptions?

If his question is: "Will iGetter be available for Mac OS X v10.6?". The answer is simply: Yes, but we can't promise a release date for such version, yet. (Notice that Snow Leopard is not available for the public, too).

Thanks,
iGetter Support

09-01-2009 08:28 PM

Posted by:
Ilgaz

Find more posts by Ilgaz

Companies/Developers choosing stability over freshness, even 1Password guys who are really fast updating their applications aren't hurrying to support 64bit mode snow leopard.

IMHO people should be questioning multi billion companies with thousands of developers not supporting 64bit Safari (such as Adobe) rather than a Download manager which these days are mostly used for stable/guaranteed downloads and organisation of downloads.

It is the 'input manager' which must be guaranteed to work fine, under every condition without compromising browser (and even OS) stability. I can't imagine your flame to Presenta if a ''it compiled 64bit, lets ship it'' type iGetter crashes your browser and OS.

The code you call ''old'' has been working here, under every kind of unrecommended configuration (APE included), every kind of OS problems without a single crash for 6 years now. There is a SINGLE other application I own which never, ever crashed and it is ''iPulse''.

I am glad Presenta keeps coding this way and doesn't abuse updates just to appear on download sites.

09-02-2009 10:22 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Ilgaz,
Thank you for your post. Indeed, we're working on several problems that we must fix first before the new official release.

YAZombie and Eureka just post their speculations and fears, but on what they base them is not clear. 32-bit apps in no way could be called obsolete. We plan to compile iGetter as a 64-bit app, but that is planned for the next major release.

In the meantime, for those curious if the current version of iGetter v2.7.5 works on Snow Leopard. Yes, it works. The only issue is iGetter integration with Safari running in 64-bit mode. But, it works with Safari in 32 bit mode ("Get Info" on the Safari icon -> "Open in 32-bit mode" checkbox). iGetter integration works with Firefox, too.

We are working on an update that will add support for Safari in 64 bit mode as well.

Regards,
iGetter Support

09-22-2009 10:24 AM

Posted by:
ray

Find more posts by ray

In what time frame can we expect to see 64-bit Safari compatibility? Days, weeks, months or years?

09-22-2009 04:20 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Ray,
The time frame is as soon as possible. In the meantime, if using Safari in 32-bit mode is not an option for you, then you may try the Firefox browser.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

10-01-2009 01:08 AM

Posted by:
maclover

Find more posts by maclover

I've used iGetter for quite a while and I have had a wonderful relationship with it. I am enjoying my new 64-bit system a bit more than I expected because due to some particulars about my system and some beta-software I'm running but have agreed not to talk about, my system is hugely faster than it was. I really don't mean to be cryptic. But my inability to use iGetter with Safari without cutting and pasting is a bit of a drag. On the other hand I'm not a developer and I don't know what's involved in making it 64-bit capable. And I'm not willing to suddenly turn on the guys who've made my downloading experience so smooth and enjoyable over the last while. From what I read here they appear to be aware of the need and working on the issue, how intensely or with what part of their resources I can't guess. But I'd just like to add my comment about this and say - I do hope that you intend to make the adjustments or major changes or whatever as soon as it is feasible because I'm looking forward to having you back on my list of consistently dependable and great applications. I don't want to have to leave you behind as I go forward. And thanks for the surprisingly prompt and intelligent support you've given me when I ran into different issues in the beginning. I was quite surprised at how precise and detailed your help was when needed, at one point it got quite elaborate and you stayed with the problem until it was resolved. And I learned a ton in the process.

10-03-2009 08:36 AM

Posted by:
Majenfa

Find more posts by Majenfa

In the mean time, Automator could fill the gap.

http://rapidshare.com/files/288102365/Download_with_iGetter__workflow__.workflow.zip

1. Unzip this workflow then place it in ~Library/Services
*If there is no "Services" folder, create one.

2. Select URL in Safari, choose "Download with iGetter (workflow) " from the context menu.

It works with the list of URL as well.
If you are shortcut key lover like me, apply shortcut key with the system preference. Mine is set to command + F2.

There is a downside to this script. It only works with proper URL, not with the anchor link.
OK: http://example.com/example.txt
NG: example.com/example.txt
NG: This is the LINK

In that case, run the bookmarklet like the below. GreaseKit script is also a good idea.
javascript:(function(){var a=document.getElementsByTagName("a");for(var i=0;i<=a.length;i++){if(a.href.match('rapidshare'))a.innerHTML=a.href}})();

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply