scheduling download time, satellite connection
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

02-10-2010 01:52 AM

Posted by:
sal

Find more posts by sal

I want to schedule my downloads to occur between 2am and 7am. This never works; is there an issue when the computer goes to sleep or something else?

Also, I have a Hughes satellite connection, what preferences should I specify?
thanks!

02-10-2010 06:07 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Sal,
iGetter schedule function requires the following:

1. If the machine is in sleeping state iGetter schedule function will not work. So you need to set the System Preferences->Energy Saver->"Put computer to sleep..." to "Never".
2. iGetter must be started.
3. Downloads (that you want to download) must not be in suspended state.
4. See if the "Schedule on" label appears on the iGetter status bar.

It's good to test the schedule function before to use it overnight.

As of your connection type, you may set it to 10Mbps (at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel). Also, set the "Minimal segment size" value to 9999 KB and "Default number of segments" to 4. You may try with more segments if you see that your Internet connection can handle this (the "Average speed" field should be near to your max connection speed).

Regards,
iGetter Support

02-14-2010 04:31 PM

Posted by:
sal

Find more posts by sal

scheduling download time

I am trying to schedule the downlaod for 2 am, however, scheduling on never appears in the status bar. Can you give a step-by-step instruction from adding the url through scheduling? I am missing something....

thank you so much!

02-16-2010 11:15 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Notice that you need to set the start date to the next day.

04-03-2010 09:13 PM

Posted by:
peter

Find more posts by peter

software update

I too have a satellite connection and have appreciated the info for scheduling. What I was not understanding was how to discover the URL's for the mac software updates because it doesn't show them when you run their software update check program. They are some of the large down loads that I need to schedule for the wee hours of the morning.

Thanks for your help

06-16-2010 05:10 AM

Posted by:
Rita

Find more posts by Rita

Using Scheduler

I read the info below on the forum but have questions as my download didn’t work either.

I set the time for 10:50 p.m. just to check it before using the schedule function. At 10:50 p.m. the YouTube video I picked looked like it was downloading (the progress bar in iGetter was moving). When it stopped, I found an icon on my desktop that looked like a bent page labeled ‘watch’.” (Not sure where that name came from as it was a video about a panda.) I turned Airport Off and clicked on the “watch” icon. Youtube came up as a webpage and then indicated there was an error.”

1. My computer was not asleep.
2. iGetter was obviously started
3. I don’t know what a suspended state is, but I believe the download was working
4. “Schedule on” was in the status bar.

A. I also have satellite internet. I went to the prefs and Acceleration. As far setting speed to 10mbps, I don’t see that option.

B. As far as setting the maximum speed to “near connection speed,” does that mean I pick the speed closest to my connection speed, even though it might be indicated as a DSL speed on iGetter? (If it’s 10mbps, remember, I don’t see that as an option listed.)

Thanks for your help.

Rita

quote:
iGetter schedule function requires the following:

1. If the machine is in sleeping state iGetter schedule function will not work. So you need to set the System Preferences->Energy Saver->"Put computer to sleep..." to "Never".
2. iGetter must be started.
3. Downloads (that you want to download) must not be in suspended state.
4. See if the "Schedule on" label appears on the iGetter status bar.

It's good to test the schedule function before to use it overnight.

As of your connection type, you may set it to 10Mbps (at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel). Also, set the "Minimal segment size" value to 9999 KB and "Default number of segments" to 4. You may try with more segments if you see that your Internet connection can handle this (the "Average speed" field should be near to your max connection speed).

06-17-2010 01:46 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Rita,
Unfortunately, there is no direct way to download YouTube files from their site. May be one of the easiest methods to download files with iGetter from Youtube is to use the keep-youtube.com site (flashload.net seems to work as well). FlashGot and Better YouTube add-ons for Firefox may help, too. Sometimes you need to add "flv" extension manually after completion. Most flv links should be downloaded with 1 segment. However, MP4 links work properly with multiple segments in most cases. As a last resort, to avoid any problems with some of the youtube servers set the "Default number of segments" value to 1 at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel.

In all cases we would recommend you to use iGetter and Firefox with the FlashGot add-on installed.

As of connection type you may choose the 12Mbps option (10Mbps is no longer available as an option).

Regards,
iGetter Support

06-17-2010 02:34 PM

Posted by:
Rita Montague

Find more posts by Rita Montague

Thank you. I will try your suggestions. Rita

06-17-2010 02:43 PM

Posted by:
Rita Montague

Using Keep You Tube, etc.

Do you have any idea how I can use that site and still use the scheduler, or is that out of the question? It looks like a direct download from their site after you put in the youtube url.

I really need to schedule downloads for after midnight.

Sorry I can't figure this out by myself.

Thanks.

Rita

06-17-2010 05:36 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Rita,
To use iGetter either with the schedule function or not, first you need to add URLs (links to files) that iGetter will be able to download. Keep-youtube.com helps you reveal the youtube movie links that you can download and watch on your computer with QuickTime for example (You can't just download some youtube page and watch it offline). So to test this open some page in youtube with a movie. Then change the address from "http://www.youtube.com/watch?..." to "http://keep-tube.com/watch?...". You will see several options of movies with different resolutions. These links you can add to iGetter for downloading.

May be first you need to download some regular files from the Apple site to see how iGetter works with and without the scheduler: http://www.apple.com/downloads/

Regards,
iGetter Support

06-17-2010 10:10 PM

Posted by:
Rita Montague

Using Keep You Tube, etc.

Per your statement below, now I get it. I have KeepVid which seems to be the same as KeepYouTube, and I know how to work that with the different options. In fact, I might try it with KeepVid first as it works with YouTube for me. Thanks so much. Rita

You will see several options of movies with different resolutions. These links you can add to iGetter for downloading.

07-28-2010 08:00 PM

Posted by:
Stephen Cobb

Find more posts by Stephen Cobb

Start/Pause/Schedule -- What is the inter-action

This has been a very helpful thread for another HughesNet user (me).

Right now I have 2 files queued up for downloading with iGetter and Schedule = ON, however the files had started to download and are now Paused.

My question is this: Will they automatically resume downloading when the scheduled time comes round?

If Yes, that's great.

If No, does that mean I have to delete them from the queue and add them again without starting them at all?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Stephen

07-29-2010 01:30 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Stephen,
Yes, the schedule function will resume all paused downloads every time the schedule start time occurs. Then on a scheduled stop time event all downloads will be paused (until the next schedule start time event).

Regards,
iGetter Support

07-29-2010 01:40 PM

Posted by:
Stephen cobb

Find more posts by Stephen cobb

Paused downloads and Scheduling

Yes! That is exactly how it worked last night.

I guess it just takes a small leap of faith to leave the machine set up that way when I go to bed at night.

(you probably know how badly HughesNet punishes you if you download a 400 megabyte software update during normal operating hours).

But I set up iGetter with a big download on Pause and Schedule last night and there was the latest iTunes update on my desktop this morning!

Thanks...Stephen

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply