AirPort failiure
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

03-05-2010 04:59 AM

Posted by:
Axel

Find more posts by Axel

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard (from Tiger) and since then, any time I use iGetter, the AirPort connection just stops working. Turning AirPort off and on again fixes the problem but only until I use iGetter again. Everything works fine if I connect to the router through an Ethernet cable. Any ideas?

Axel

03-08-2010 05:23 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Axel,
Since, it's the first time we hear about such problem, how your AirPort connection exactly stops working? An error appears in the iGetter transcript (at Segments tab panel), all Internet apps lose connection (i.e. Safari) or AirPort disconnects from the access point? Also, did that error appear immediately when you start iGetter downloading or after a while? Your network configuration will help us also.

Since iGetter uses the first network interface set in your System Preferences. You should configure your AirPort connection as first from your System Preferences -> Network -> Active Network ports -> Set first the AirPort interface.

You may also switch off the 'Test connection status' at iGetter preferences, Connections panel.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

03-10-2010 02:27 AM

Posted by:
Axel

Find more posts by Axel

Thanks for the reply.
The error I get in the transcript is: "Network error 268435556"
All Internet applications lose their connection.
iGetter starts downloading normally but after a few seconds it stops. If I wait a few minutes the connection is automatically resumed and iGetter starts downloading again only to fail after a few seconds.
Switching off 'Test connection status' has no effect.
I have discovered that the problem seems to be related to the speed of data transfer. Only when IGetter is downloading from a fast site (like a Rapidshare account) does the connection break. Therefore, the problem may be related to my AirPort rather than iGetter. Perhaps the problem only shows up in IGetter because it is the only Internet application that uses such fast connections.

Axel

03-10-2010 05:21 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Axel,
Network error 268435556 means: "Operation timed out. Server not responding", which is a obvious network error. In such case iGetter tries to reconnect after 60 sec.

Most probably your AirPort loses connection to the Wi-Fi router. This may happen if the signal strength is very low and/or all channels are full or very noisy which cause frequent reconnection. To investigate this you will need a tool like iStumbler http://www.istumbler.net/.

Your Wi-Fi router's log can show exactly what may have caused the problem. In the meantime, to limit the iGetter download speed, just turn on the "Obey Speed Limit" Downloads menu option and adjust the speed limit slider at the lower right corner.

Regards,
iGetter Support

03-11-2010 04:50 PM

Posted by:

Find more posts by

iStumbler shows signal at 50-70% (depending on where I put my computer) and noise at 9%. I don’t know if this is normal. For some reason, when I run iStumbler and iGetter simultaneously, iGetter slows to a crawl and, therefore, the connection holds and everything seems to be alright as far as iStumbler is concerned. As soon as I quit iStumbler, iGetter picks up speed and the connection breaks down.

I don't know how to access the Wi-Fi router's log.

Setting the speed limit works but with the penalty that I can only download at about 250 KB/s since that is the highest limit I can set below unlimited. In this case it would be helpful to be able to set the limit higher, but still not to unlimited, to find out how high I can go before the connection breaks down. My normal downloading speed with iGetter (using an Ethernet cable) is about 1,500 KB/s.

Thanks for your help.

03-12-2010 06:13 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

To adjust the iGetter speed limit scale, choose a proper connection type at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel (i.e. 10Mbps Ethernet). Also, at that panel set the "Default number of segments" value to 4.

Usually you can reach the Wi-Fi router's log if you type the routers IP address in your browser (i.e. http://192.168.1.1/), enter your user info and find the log. The help docs of your router should show how to do this. If its owned by your ISP, then you can only ask them to investigate the problem.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

06-30-2010 05:47 AM

Posted by:
AK_MUC

Find more posts by AK_MUC

I think it is not related to AirPort. I have AP deactivated, only ethernet is active. I have not used iGetter for months, because 2.8 is causing network problems on my 10.6.4 iMac everytime I download more than just one file.

Safari and Firefox do not load any sites anymore once this happens. Also entourage freezes. Quitting or sometimes killing iGetter does not help. So I have to restart the machine. I have had no problems with my mac for the last months. Now that I use iGetter again, it has just come back. I paid the license, so it is really annoying.

Is there any help with that?

06-30-2010 10:13 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

It seems that there is some misconfiguration with your settings, so to help you solve that problem, please answer the following questions:
1. What value you have set for "Max simultaneous downloads" (iGetter preferences, General panel)?
2. What values you have set for "Connection type", "Speed limit" and "Default number of segments" at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel?
3. Did you turn on the "Obey speed limit (Cmd+L) Tools menu option and adjust the speed limit slider (or did you turn on the "At startup turn on speed limit" option at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel)?

Notice that speed limit is measured in B/s which is 8 times greater than b/s. For example 250 KB/s is 2,000 Kb/s, and 1.25 MB/s is equal to 10Mbps Ethernet (because 1 Byte = 8 bits)?

Thanks,
iGetter Support

07-06-2010 04:54 PM

Posted by:
AK_MUC

1. What value you have set for "Max simultaneous downloads" (iGetter preferences, General panel)?

-> 10

2. What values you have set for "Connection type", "Speed limit" and "Default number of segments" at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel?

-> 12Mb Cable/DSL (is a 16kbit line)
-> 553.09KB/s
-> 7

3. Did you turn on the "Obey speed limit (Cmd+L) Tools menu option and adjust the speed limit slider (or did you turn on the "At startup turn on speed limit" option at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel)?

-> I did it via Cmd+L in the Tools menu (can't see the option in the German interface at the acceleration panel). There is only the slider set at 553.09KB/s as mentioned above.

Does this help? Thank you for your reply.

07-18-2010 01:21 PM

Posted by:
AK_MUC

Hello? No reply? No clue?

Please help me with that problem, I am a user who paid your software.

07-19-2010 09:35 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

AK_MUC,
As a registered customer you can always use the Support form on this site (http://www.igetter.net/feedback.html). This forum is intended for unregistered users.

The first thing you may do is decrease the "Max simultaneous downloads" value to 3 and "Default number of segments" value to 4. If your machine seems like freezed when iGetter downloads, then most probably you're downloading a very huge file (over several gygabytes) and Mac OS X needs to flush it on your HD on its completion (see this thread for more info: http://www.igetter.net/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=1258).

It seems that your report has nothing related to the Axel's first post on this thread. So please use our support form, and send us a URL for testing along with information about your machine (CPU speed, RAM, HDD [its size and type: Internal drive, Network drive, External drive, etc.]) and your current Mac OS X version, so we can reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply