Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter for Mac OS X
Download Speed Slow
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

08-30-2010 12:33 PM

Posted by:

Find more posts by bkkmark

I can't understand why my download speed is running below 50 kbps when I was previously downloading at a combined speed of over 1.2 mbps. I turned the max simultaneous downloads to 2 and the default number of segments to 3 without any improvement (max combined speed was 32 kbps). I am using hotfile and have a premium account. My internet connection is 16mbps. I tested the spped while I was downloading at it was 15 mbps. If I'm able to overcome this problem I will register the software.

Thanks for your help.

08-31-2010 05:37 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

First you've to test your application speed (which may be far less than your connection capacity of 16mbps). Hotfile server seems to be in Florida, so you can use the site to test your current connection to a FL server. This is an approximate measure since hotfile and speedtest use different servers and most probably Internet providers.

Then you can try to download something from the Apple site ( to see what speed you can reach with iGetter. If Hotfile and Apple server speeds are significantly different, most probably hotfile share same server connections with multiple users and they can't guarantee high speed of downloading at all times.

Next, notice that iGetter measures speed in B/s which is 8 times smaller than b/s (in other words 16Mbps is 2MBps).

Rapidshare has an option for direct downloads, so if your hotfile premium area has such option try to turn it on.

iGetter Support

09-01-2010 07:01 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by bkkmrk

thanks for the help.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply