Downloads slow and go to waiting towards the end
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

02-03-2011 03:28 AM

Posted by:
J

Find more posts by J

I'm on a fast ADSL2+ connection, but with some downloads (particularly noticeable with the speed test file that my ISP offers) iGetter seems to bottom out towards the end of the download, go to 0 kb/s and then hit 'Waiting' on and off for the last minute or so of the download.

If I download the same file with Google Chrome instead I get a nice consistent (but slightly slower) speed that doesn't drop out.

Can anyone explain what this is? And if there's anything I can do to fix it?

02-03-2011 06:42 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello,
First, you can see the reason for the waiting/broken state if you open the transfer details panel, then choose the "Segments" tab and start your download. Now, select the first segment. Immediately after the iGetter request you will see the reason (error) for the waiting/broken state.

Some possible reasons for the problem:
1. There is a proxy somewhere on the way that caches the download. The problem disappears if you have an alternative URL for this file or alternative connection (another ISP) to the Internet. Download will be resumed just fine. Otherwise, when the Proxy cache expires (probably within 24 hours) you must be able to finish your download.

2. There is some kind of restriction over the number of connections that you can make to this server. So, you can limit the number of iGetter connections manually at the New URL dialog setting the number of segments to 1, you can also limit the number of connections to 1 for that particular site in the iGetter preferences, Site Manager or generally setting the "Max simultaneous downloads" and "Default number of segments" to 1 at iGetter preferences, General and Acceleration panels. Also you can set the "Minimal segment size" to 9999 KB at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply