Anyway to send a link to another mac on the same network to DL the link
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

05-19-2011 01:42 PM

Posted by:
jason

Find more posts by jason

Hello, Is there anyway I can open a web page on my laptop right click on a link and somehow send that download it to another computer on my network running igetter to be the one that actually downloads the link?

For example its been a while but i use to use speedDownload and they had a remote comand line in which you could do that.

That way it allows me to take my laptop to another site or shut it down or sleep while the download is running on the other machine.

Its not always fun to have to copy the link from my workstation, vnc or remote into the other box paste and then download with igetter.

thanks

05-20-2011 02:23 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

jason,
Remote control is already in the iGetter Wish List. Currently, instead of remote management (or VNC) you may use the following AppleScript.

On the remote machine:
1. Install iGetter and open iGetter preferences, General panel and turn on "Start downloading immediately" option.
2. Turn on "Remote Apple Events" option (System Preferences -> Sharing).
3. Make a note of the computer's name which should look as "computer.local" (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer Name).

On your local machine:
1. Install iGetter on your local machine (required for the AppleScript).
2. Open AppleScript Editor (/Application/Utilities) and turn on "Show script menu in menu bar" option at AppleScript Editor -> Preferences.
3. Paste the following code in the editor, edit the first line with the remote computer's name and save the script with the name "iGetterScript" at /Users/<your user>/Library/Scripts

--AppleScript
set remMachine to "eppc://ip_address or computer_name.local"

set URLlist to (the clipboard) as text
set lastDelimit to AppleScript's text item delimiters
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASCII character (13)
set URLlist to every text item of URLlist
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to lastDelimit

using terms from application "Finder"
try
tell application "finder" of machine remMachine
open application file id "com.presenta.iGetter"
end tell
on error errM number errN
display dialog (errM & space & errN)
end try
end using terms from

using terms from application "iGetter"
try
tell application "iGetter" of machine remMachine
repeat with eachURL in URLlist
GetURL eachURL
end repeat
end tell
on error errM number errN
display dialog (errM & space & errN)
end try
end using terms from
--//AppleScript

4. To send an URL to iGetter installed on your remote machine, copy some link(s) in your browser (using "Copy Link" CM command), then select AppleScript menu (next to the clock, upper right AppleScript icon), then select iGetterScript command. You will be prompted for your remote machine's user name & password. Use the keychain to store it, otherwise you have to enter it twice for each command.

Regards,
iGetter Support

05-23-2011 09:09 AM

Posted by:
jason

Find more posts by jason

Great. thanks Looking forward toward it in the future builds.

03-26-2013 05:59 PM

Posted by:
kapps

Find more posts by kapps

From Safari if you have to copy the link and run the applescript each time then its not a igetter catch as it would operate from a local machine.

It would be easier to either write a popclip extension or simply drag the hyper link to a sym link which is a watch folder on the remote machine.

For these script to be a better option it needs to work like on a local machine where igetter automatically catches the download and sends it to the remote machine.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply