any way to resume broken download
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

07-26-2011 09:21 PM

Posted by:
stefan

Find more posts by stefan

I am trying to download Microsoft Office 2011 for mac from the e-academy website. My connection is slow so it would take several hours. After about 350 MB downloaded it went into a connecting/waiting cycle and then changed to broken. I am guessing I timed out from their site. So, I double clicked on the file and put in my username and password for the download, but it just says broken after I hit start. I have also tried clearing the url and tried to recover lost download but I had the same problem. Is there anyway to salvage the 350 MB I have already downloaded or do I need to start over? My connection isn't getting any faster so how can I avoid this happening again?

Thanks,
Stefan

07-27-2011 10:06 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Stefan,
First you have to look in the iGetter Segments tab panel for an error that may cause a broken state of your download. It may be an authentication error, network error, full HD error, etc.

If the problem is that the URL has expired, you can try to copy the original link from the same site. Then pause that download in iGetter, open its "Items Settings" dialog (by double clicking on it) and paste the original URL (replacing the existing one). Then try to resume the download.

Regards,
iGetter Support

10-28-2011 02:32 PM

Posted by:
Peter

Find more posts by Peter

Resuming broken downloads

I have what I think may be a related question. I was attempting to download a very large file using Safari, but the program crashed before the download was completed. Can I use iGetter to resume the download or will it only work with files that were being downloaded via the program itself?

(Apologies for such a simplistic question, but I am not a 'computer person' so I have only a limited knowledge of any technical aspects.)

10-28-2011 04:52 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Peter,
iGetter and Safari use different containers for their downloads, so you can't resume a partial Safari download in iGetter. But you may cancel a Safari download, then use the contextual menu command "Copy Address" in Safari's download window. Finally, start iGetter and use directly menu Edit -> Paste (Cmd +V) to add that URL to iGetter.

Regards,
iGetter Support

10-29-2011 02:26 AM

Posted by:
Peter

Find more posts by Peter

Thanks very much for your advice. Unfortunately the file disappeared altogether from the download window when Safari crashed so I cannot copy the address from there, but I was able to load it again from the partly-downloaded file that appeared on my desktop. It started working, albeit from a point near the beginning of the file rather than towards the end (I already had about 3.85 GB of a 4 GB file). However I now know I should use iGetter for downloading, rather than anything else!

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply