File Size Larger with igetter
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

08-30-2011 10:49 PM

Posted by:
Anurag

Find more posts by Anurag

While downloading any file whenever I use iGetter the file size is larger than the original size whereas while downloading the same file normally the file size is normal.

Is this software adding something to the file which might be a virus harming my computer.

NOTE: I DID NOT PAUSE THE FILE EVEN ONCE AND THIS IS THE CASE WITH ALL FILES I DOWNLOAD AND I KNOW THAT YOU MIGHT SAY THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE 1024 KB AND 1000 KB THING BUT IT ISN'T THE CASE.

Thanks for the help Guys..

08-30-2011 11:08 PM

Posted by:
Anurag

I was downloading a 14 Gb file and in iGetter it shows the size to be 14847 mb and when I check the file size by clicking on get info in Mac it tells 15.5 Gb...What is this...what is the extra 1.5 gigs

08-31-2011 04:53 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Anurag,
The answer is very simple, iGetter gets file size from the server response. Just look at Segments tab panel and select some download in progress. If "Content-Length" HTTP entity is present, iGetter will create the file with that file size right at the beginning. There are some other cases when that entity is not present or the protocol is FTP.

Here is an example. The "OS X Lion Update 10.7.1 (Client)" on the Apple's site, returns in the response "Content-Length: 83137592". iGetter shows 79.29 MB (which is (83137592 B/1024) -> (81189 KB/1024) -> 79.286 MB). Get Info of the Finder shows 83.1 MB on disk (83137592 bytes). What you have not seen is the word on disk followed by the real file size in bytes. Just search in Google the phrase "file size vs size on disk" and you will find the answer to your question.

So iGetter doesn't add anything to your downloads, otherwise the checksums (MD5 or SHA1) will not match. For example the "OS X Lion Update 10.7.1 (Client)" download should have a SHA1 checksum 67c94a3b654007c42f55170029d057d3287806c7 (see its download page http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1437), which is the exact SHA1 checksum of the downloaded with iGetter file (open your Terminal app -> "openssl sha1 /<path_to_download>/MacOSXUpd10.7.1.dmg" -> press Enter -> you should receive the exact SHA1 checksum). iGetter even shows MD5 checksum of any download in the History list, so you can check if it will match the one provided on the download's page.

Regards,
iGetter Support

08-31-2011 06:09 AM

Posted by:
Anurag

Thanks for the efforts..I appreciate it..I am convinced now...I knew the difference between file size and file size on disk but I asked this question because the difference between the file size and file size on disk was 1.5 gb...my file size on disk is 1.5 gb more than the original size which I felt was a huge difference even after considering the fact that file size on disk is always more.

Incase you need to explain the difference between both to anyone in the future use this example I read..it is long but worth the read ...

If I had 12 ounces of fluid and only 10 ounce cups then it would require two cups to hold the 10 ounces of fluid.

20 ounces of storage space to hold 12 ounces.

40 ounces would require 4 cups or 40 ounces of available storage space.

Computers work in a similar way depending on the allocation unit sizes used on PC when it was formatted.

Look at the properties of a 1kb .txt file where the file size would show 1kb but it would then also show how much storage space it requires due to the size of your allocation units.

It only effects the percentage of the last unit required.

a 1001 ounce file would require 101 10 ounce allocation units leaving that last cup with 9 ounces of unusable space.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply