< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

11-01-2011 03:31 AM

Posted by:
Pierre-Olivier

Find more posts by Pierre-Olivier

Hello,

Recently, I upgrade MacOS X, from 10.6.4 to 10.6.8, and Safari, from 5.0.x to 5.1.1.

Prior to these upgrades, when clicking (or Cmd-Clicking) on a download link, the download "order" was intercepted by iGetter, and the download started in the iGetter windows. The contextual menu, "download with iGetter", does'nt work.

Is it a known problem, or do I have a problem with my machine ?

thank you

11-01-2011 01:28 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Since Safari 5.1, Apple have disabled some APIs which we used in prior versions for downloads with "Content-Disposition" HTTP entity (mainly download attachments). Currently, all such downloads are handled by Safari on its own.

The only workaround for such downloads is to use Firefox with the FlashGot add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220/). With this add-on you will be able to choose iGetter on the Firefox save dialog. You can also use several contextual menu commands that work with iGetter (i.e. "FlashGot Link" or "FlashGot All").

Regards,
iGetter Support

11-01-2011 03:06 PM

Posted by:
Pierre-Olivier

Thank you for the quick answer.

Is there any hope to have this usefull feature restored in future release, with others API ?

I don't know if it's possible to re-install prior version of Safari ...

11-02-2011 01:51 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Most probably Apple has intentionally disabled these APIs to offer the new extensions functionality, or they did it unintentionally by changing Objective-C language. However, not only Safari, but all browsers handle on their own downloads with "Content-Disposition" HTTP entity. May be someday they will allow browser plugins to intercept these downloads as well.

Currently, only Firefox with FlashGot add-on allows iGetter to download such downloads.

Another option is to try to downgrade Safari to v5.0.5 as explained here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3199993?start=0&tstart=0
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110722154439693

Regards,
iGetter Support

11-02-2011 05:53 PM

Posted by:
Pierre-Olivier

Thank you for the link explaining the Safari 5.0.5 reinstallation.

I now use Firefox, with the plugin and it's nearly so comfortable.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply