Filesonic links going "stale"
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

12-12-2011 03:28 AM

Posted by:
Marc

Find more posts by Marc

I've encountered a strange problem with filesonic premium downloads. Here is the sequence of events:

1. Login to filesonic premium via Firefox 3.6.24

2. Add download links via contextual menu to iGetter 2.8.8

3. Download some files with no problem.

4. Pause some links (before they even start)and go away

5. Filesonic will auto logout

6. After coming back, login to Filesonic again (as in step 1.)

7. Resume paused downloads - they immediately fail with output file saying not logged in to FS. These are not downloads that had previously started and are now resumed - they were never started.

8. Re-add same download links to iGetter via contextual menu

9. Downloads fine (until next auto logout.)

Does anyone know what would account for the difference between previously added and paused links that never started and newly added links (shortly after the login)?

Also, closely related, given that filesonic has its own login web page and does not appear to recognize the "standard" login process that iGetter probably uses, is there a scripting workaround that would allow automating the filesonic login and then resuming downloads without having to re-add them manually?

Thanks in advance for any insight and help!

12-12-2011 05:46 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Marc,
iGetter sends authentication info entered at iGetter preferences, Site Manager panel (notice the point before filesonic):

http://.filesonic.in/
http://.filesonic.com/

It also sends a cookie which is set in your browser when you login. This cookie is extracted depending on the method you use to add links to iGetter:
1. If you use "Download with iGetter" contextual menu command the current session cookie.
2. If you directly paste or drag and drop a link in iGetter the cookie set in your default browser.

So when you login to filesonic just check the "Remember me" checkbox. This will set a cookie that iGetter may use to authenticate you.

Another possible reason why your links can't start is that you have copied the redirected (or direct mirror) URLs which at filesonic work for very short time (about a minute). You need to get the links which filesonic provides, not those of their mirror servers. This is why we created an option named "Save redirected URLs" at iGetter preferences, Advanced panel. It should be OFF for filesonic to work.

Regards,
iGetter Support

12-12-2011 08:11 PM

Posted by:
Marc

Find more posts by Marc

Re.: Filesonic links going stale

First, thanks for clarifying the difference in cookies with download method.

I had read previous threads here on FSN, so I did indeed set "Save Redirected URLs" to OFF.

Re. authentication, I did set http://.filesonic.com/ but not the line with the ".in" suffix. Is the one with ".in" also necessary in the United States?

Also, I did check the "Remember Me" box in the FSN login page, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Does iGetter use the method that Filesonic requires for authentication?

It seems that I can only get it to work with the session cookie. Do you know how I can get it to work with the regular cookie in Firefox (which is my default browser.)?

Thanks again!

12-13-2011 05:15 AM

Posted by:
Marc

Find more posts by Marc

A quick followup:

I notice that when I have "Automatically rename redirected files" set to OFF (unchecked), there is different behavior depending on how I initiated the download:

When I use the contextual menu in Firefox, the rename still happens even though it's turned off, but when I add the download manually by pasting it in, there is no rename (which is what I'd like.)

What accounts for this? Is there a way to get it to work consistently regardless of input method?

Thanks again!

12-13-2011 12:20 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Our tests with some filesonic links show that they work by providing user info in the Site Manager and without any cookies. If links start with "http://www.filesonic.com/", they should work. If you use a filesonic mirror link which start with "http://aXX.filesonic.com/" then it will work for a very short time. These mirror links just expire and you can't use them anylonger.

When you paste a link directly in iGetter, it will extract the cookie (if available) from your default browser. To set your default browser, use Safari preferences, General Panel -> "Default Web browser" -> Firefox.

"Automatically rename redirected files" option sets the file name when a download is started and a redirected URL appears. Filesonic uses attachment file names, which work fine in iGetter (with the URLs we tested). A link may appear with a different name/URL in iGetter if you click on the link and wait for Firefox save dialog to appear. Contextual menu commands which we tested don't change the file name. In other words, you can send to us an URL for testing, using our support form.

Regards,
iGetter Support

12-13-2011 01:35 PM

Posted by:
Marc

Find more posts by Marc

Thanks for the clarification. I'll do more testing on the rename issue and post in the support forum as relevant.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply