Force to close after Downloads finish?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

07-28-2012 08:28 PM

Posted by:
Curtis

Find more posts by Curtis

Is there an option to have the program quit after downloads finish every time? I can check it once I start a download, but it is not persistent through when I shutdown the application so that I have to do it on every new download.

07-30-2012 03:10 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Indeed, the iGetter "Shut down computer when done" Tools menu function (also available as a Toolbar icon through menu Edit -> Customize Toolbar) doesn't save its state. This is because if that function's state is saved someone's machine may shutdown or go to sleep just because user used iGetter to download some file.

In v2.8.5 we added the "Quit iGetter" substitution option for the "Shut down computer when done" function due to users demand (mainly when turn off computer option is set in the schedule options).

Another user requested saving of shutdown function's state due to lack of space on his Dock, so we added a note in the iGetter To Do list. Do you have any different reason why you want iGetter to quit after downloading? When iGetter is in idle mode it consumes 0% CPU and really small amount of memory.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

08-12-2012 06:32 AM

Posted by:
neo

Find more posts by neo

I am a newbie user of iGetter -- was using Folx before.
I would also like to quit iGetter after download completes -- to remove the iGetter icon from the Dock. I like to have minimal apps open in the Dock --only 4 currently.
I use iGetter for large downloads -- may be over weekends. And it is annoying to have its icon open in the Dock all the time. It would be nice if it saves the Shutdown when download completes state turned on.
Or, another nice option would be to minimizes iGetter to the menubar.

08-22-2012 06:14 PM

Posted by:
Curtis

There is no other reason for me to have it shut down other than I HATE having icons in my dock. I only have icons in the dock of programs that I need open. I hate clutter, and use launchbar to open everything via keyboard, so the dock is kinda like my "This stuff is open" reminder area. I don't like seeing the icon sitting there and open in my "Finder Space" when it should just close after completing the download. I think it's a little bit unreasonable to not have an option for the state to stay persistent for power users who are aware of why they're checking the option for it to stay persistent through open/close cycles. This is my one and only complaint with your otherwise flawless software. Oh yea, get at me if you would like a better icon logo, as I dislike your current one and would do free of charge.

08-23-2012 11:54 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Curtis,
This request is now on top of the iGetter To Do List. We already implemented it in the latest version for Windows.

If you have an idea of a new iGetter icon, we will gratefully accept your offer. You may send any files here:

Thanks,
iGetter Support

10-28-2012 10:46 PM

Posted by:
Curtis

Workaround for forcing shutdown after Download Completes

I have discovered a workaround for those of you that like me would like the option "Shutdown Down When Done" to stay persistent so that it closes igetter after the download finishes. I was told this feature was "on top of the to do list" but yet it fails to make it into the latest release. Here is your fix if your feeling froggy.

1. Make a hotkey for "Shut Down When Done". To do this go to the keyboard preference pane, and select "Application Shortcuts" from the left column. Now after it is highlighted select the plus sign at the bottom to bring up the dialog box. In the "Application" field navigate to "iGetter.app". In the "Menu Title" field, type "Shut Down When Done" (this is case sensitive so pay attention to what you type). In the "Keyboard Shortcut" field type the shortcut of your choice, I used "Option + Command + S". Now you need to paste the following into an apple script editor window. (this app is built into osx and located under /Applications/Utilities/ by default)

"activate application "iGetter"
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "s" using {command down, option down}
end tell"

(paste without the quotes before activate and after tell, and keep in mind that your going to have to modify the keystroke field if it's a different shortcut than I used, so if your not good with applescript don't use another shortcut, just use that one as it only applies to igetter anyway, and your never going to be pressing it, just keep reading).

After you have pasted it make sure that you hit (Command + K, or click "Script > Compile" from the menu. Then press "Command + R" or "Script > Run" from the menu) This will make sure it's compiled and runs properly before you save it. If you don't get through compiling or running without errors you did something wrong, start rereading this post for errors :) .

Next step is to save the script as an Application, this is important for the next step. Also pay attention to where you save it as you'll need to know that later. I recommend the Applications folder for easy access. I have a seperate folder for "Script Applications" I have made to be tidy.

Next step is to go and download "Do Something When". (IT'S FREE)

http://www.azarhi.com/Projects/DSW/

Install it, it is a system preference pane. Once installed you will need to navigate to it under system preferences. It will prompt you with the following upon opening: "To use the "Do Something When" preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen." (I don't know why it does this but it does it every time)

Click "OK" and you will be greeted with the rules prompt. First, Click "Automatically Start on Login" if you want this to be automatic, and let's face it, that's the whole point of this right?

Next, Name the Rule by typing a name in "Rule Name", mine is "Kill iGetter". Click on the "Mounts" flyout menu, and select "Launches". Now click the "When" flyout menu, and select "Select Application", and browse to your "iGetter.app" location. Leave the "What" field alone for our purposes, and click the next field, and point it to your script that you saved as a ".app". In my case it will be like this:

--------------------------------------
Rule Name: Kill Igetter
When: iGetter Launches
What: Open Kill iGetter
after a delay of 2 seconds
--------------------------------------

Make sure that you put a delay in otherwise sometimes the script might finish before the program opens up, and that would be pointless. Next click "Save" (I don't think I need to tell you that this is a rather important step). If you did everything right, your rule should be in the list, and make certain the "Active" checkbox is selected.

Enjoy your new automatically closing after Downloads complete iGetter application. If you have any problems please ask, but be patient as I don't check this board everyday and i'm not giving out my email. Also, if this works for you please check back sometime to help others as I've taken the time to write out all these steps.

10-28-2012 10:48 PM

Posted by:
Curtis

If it's possible could a mod maybe sticky note this so everyone can see it more easily?

11-02-2012 01:24 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Curtis,
Thank you for sharing your really clever workaround. Unfortunately, there is no sticky option on this forum, but search should work for those interested until we release a version of iGetter supporting that feature.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

11-04-2012 12:50 AM

Posted by:
Curtis

Update

I modified the script a little bit so that it fit my preferences better. The keystroke "w" line closes the window without closing the program. The activate "Safari" line switches back to safari, saving you the grueling task of hitting alt + tab to switch back. I'm sure there's a much more graceful way to do this, but this is how I learned to do it for now.

activate application "iGetter"
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "s" using {command down, option down}
keystroke "w" using {command down}
end tell

activate application "Safari"

08-28-2014 12:01 AM

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

I wish to be able to have iGetter turn off automatically after a download too. Be great if it would open, download the file, and close. :)

I think that making the 'shut down when done' option persist would be the wrong approach though. I'd like a separate option in Preferences > General > After Download: "Quit iGetter".

Maybe just have it as an option for registered users so non-registered users can't bypass having to interact with the program at all.

Thanks!

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply