< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

05-04-2013 06:05 AM

Posted by:
Sirius

Find more posts by Sirius

Hi,

I have an iMac 2010 (Core i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD) running under Mac OS X 10.8.3 and every time when iGetter is downloading my computer slows down dramatically (spinning beachball appears several times). When iGetter is finished everything is running normal again.

Is this a bug or a feature?

BR

Sirius

05-07-2013 10:06 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

First, we have tested iGetter 2.9.1 on a MacBook Pro with SSD (Samsung revision of 830-series) and it worked without any issues.

In order to find where the problem is hidden we need a sample file that Activity Monitor app may create (app is in your /Applications/Utilities folder). In Activity Monitor select iGetter and click on the Inspect button. On the opened dialog click on the "Sample" button. Then save the resulting report by the "Save as..." button. Finally, send the file to .

Some SSDs make internal file optimization by compressing files. Intensive writing to such disks may cause a problem. iGetter writes to your HDD when downloading, but how much HDD will be loaded, depends on how many simultaneous connections are created. Options that directly influence HDD work are:
1. "Max simultaneous downloads" at iGetter preferences, General panel. Set it to 2.
2. "Default number of segments" at iGetter preferences, Acceleration tab panel. Set it to 4 or less.

As at last resort, you can turn on "Obey Speed Limit (Cmd+L)" and adjust speed limit slider at the bottom right corner of the iGetter window. This way iGetter will download with a slower speed and thus write less often to HDD.

Regards,
iGetter Support

05-09-2013 12:37 PM

Posted by:
Sirius

Find more posts by Sirius

Thanks for your reply. I've sent you the analytics file.

I've got the same problem when I save the downloaded files to a HDD so I don't think that it is a problem with my SSD.

11-12-2014 10:37 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

We received an email on May 11, 2013, from the user who started this thread, that the problem appears only when he uses Safari (there is not such problem with Firefox or Chrome).

And here is the solution for those that still experience the problem. Safari 7.0.4 (also 6.1.4) seems to fix memory consumption problem that affects iGetter plugin, so please update to latest Safari version. Here is the list of fixes in Safari 7.0.4: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6254

Similar thread is: http://www.igetter.net/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=1513

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply