< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

10-17-2013 05:30 PM

Posted by:
Steve

Find more posts by Steve

Hi

Ive been using iGetter for Windows in Windows 8 for a couple of months now. It's great with exception of the following:

* It doesn't handle file names with an '&' (ampersand character). It truncates the file name at the first instances of an ampersand. The only way around it is to add the filename manually (which isnt possible if you're using flashgot to bulk-add the files).

* It randomly does not download files in the same order in which they appear in the download list. Sometimes it'll jump the queue and start downloading, say, file #71, then file #20, then file #37, then go back to file #1 and continue...

* It does not allow you to move multiple files up or down in the download queue (only one file can be moved at a time).

* There is no "Move To Top of Queue" or "Move To Bottom Of Queue" options. If I have several hundred items (or more) queued up and I want to move something from the bottom to the very top I have to sit and wait while I drag it and wait for the program very slowly scroll through all entries until I get to the top. Sometimes this can take 20 to 30 seconds of waiting while dragging with my mouse.

* A feature I'd really like to see is a "Resume paused downloads after X seconds / minutes / hours" (Ive seen this feature available in other downloading managers). Very often Ill pause my downloads because I need full Internet speed for something else for only a few minutes... Ill then forget to manually resume the downloads and it may be a few hours until I check on their progress - all the meanwhile the downloads have been paused. Provide the option to make it more downloading invasive!

Thanks

10-18-2013 03:30 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

quote:
* It doesn't handle file names with an '&' (ampersand character). It truncates the file name at the first instances of an ampersand. The only way around it is to add the filename manually (which isnt possible if you're using flashgot to bulk-add the files).
Indeed, the following characters will truncate a download name for HTTP(S) protocol: "#?&" (without quotes). These characters have special meaning in the URL and if used in a file name they should be encoded (i.e. & -> %26).

quote:
* It randomly does not download files in the same order in which they appear in the download list. Sometimes it'll jump the queue and start downloading, say, file #71, then file #20, then file #37, then go back to file #1 and continue...
This may happen if server from which you download apply restriction over the number of connections (or if you have set such restriction per site). In that case downloads go in waiting state and which connection will succeed next is based on timeout. To avoid such problems turn on "Waiting items take download slots" option at iGetter options, Advanced panel. However, this may block your whole queue while waiting the "waiting" downloads.

quote:
* It does not allow you to move multiple files up or down in the download queue (only one file can be moved at a time).
On the contrary, iGetter allows you to move multiple items. Just select them and choose a place where you want them placed. Queue table must be arranged by Priority number (if that very first column is hidden click three times on any column to order by priority).

quote:
* There is no "Move To Top of Queue" or "Move To Bottom Of Queue" options. If I have several hundred items (or more) queued up and I want to move something from the bottom to the very top I have to sit and wait while I drag it and wait for the program very slowly scroll through all entries until I get to the top. Sometimes this can take 20 to 30 seconds of waiting while dragging with my mouse.
You can directly change downloads order by entering a queue number. Just double click on a paused download and enter its queue number in the Item Settings dialog. You can do "Move To Top of Queue" operation as well. First, order queue by priority. Then select one or several downloads and drag and drop them over the priority column or some other than the File Name column. Selected files will appear on top position (depending on how priority column is ordered it's first or last position).

quote:
* A feature I'd really like to see is a "Resume paused downloads after X seconds / minutes / hours" (Ive seen this feature available in other downloading managers). Very often Ill pause my downloads because I need full Internet speed for something else for only a few minutes... Ill then forget to manually resume the downloads and it may be a few hours until I check on their progress - all the meanwhile the downloads have been paused. Provide the option to make it more downloading invasive!
This is good feature request. We hear it for the first time so I added it to the iGetter Wish List. Manual control of speed is by turning on/off "Obey speed limit" function (Ctrl+L).

Regards,
iGetter Support

10-20-2013 05:27 AM

Posted by:
Steve

Find more posts by Steve

Thanks for the informative response.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply