iGetter plug-in and Safari 6.1 problem
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

10-25-2013 12:14 AM

Posted by:
Brian163

Find more posts by Brian163

Since Apple released Safari 6.1 a few days ago I have observed the iGetter Plugin (Safari Internet plug-in) process consume massive amounts of memory in the 6-10GB (!) range. And this was possibly "and climbing" until poor system response would alert me to the issue. If I quit Safari and the process exists, the memory is immediately freed up.

10-25-2013 03:05 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

1. How many plugins you've listed at Safari menu Help -> Installed Plugins?
2. Does the problem persist when you turn off iGetter integration with browsers? To remove iGetter plugin, first quit all opened browsers (i.e. Safari). Then turn off iGetter "Integrate with Internet browsers" Tools menu function. If you restart your machine turn off "Reopen windows when logging back in" option on the restart alert.
3. If the problem appears when only iGetter plugin is installed in Safari, what are the exact steps to reproduce it?
4. What are your OS X and iGetter versions?

Thanks,
iGetter Support

10-25-2013 07:15 PM

Posted by:
Brian163

Thank you for the response. Here are the answers to your questions.

1) 15

2) The problem immediately goes away when I disable the Integrate option. (This is why I reported it! ;-) ) Note the context menu support does not seem to be causing any problems.

3) Load safari with plug-in enabled. Open system Monitor and filter all processes on "iGetter Plugin (Safari Internet plug-in)". Click some download links (to send downloads to iGetter). After a while, observe the ever increasing amounts of memory the iGetter Plugin is consuming under the "Real Mem" column. Observe your system start swapping memory heavily and come grinding to a crawl. Quit Safari, observe iGetter Plugin quit and all of the memory it was consuming auto-magically become free memory.

4) Os 10.8.5, iGetter 2.9.2

Please let me know if I can provide any other detail. I'll be extremely surprised if this is a localized problem on my computer as I've been using iGetter for well over a year now and have never seen a problem or conflict until Safari 6.1 (8537.71) was pushed out by Apple.

10-28-2013 04:06 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Indeed, there is a problem with ML, Safari 6.1 and iGetter 2.9.2 plugin, which causes memory consumption when plugin tries to start iGetter. Problem seems to appear only when iGetter app is not already started. Can you confirm that on your machine?

We will investigate the problem and will try to fix it.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

10-28-2013 08:21 PM

Posted by:
brian163

Find more posts by brian163

I'm now running 10.9 so I will test it again along with the launch app first approach.

11-19-2013 07:19 AM

Posted by:
Brian163

Run away memory grabs persist with Safari 7.0 and 10.9. Any word on a forthcoming update to fix this?

11-19-2013 07:21 AM

Posted by:
Brian163

And I meant to include, this is even if I have iGetter running before I start Safari. It appears to be triggered by (or at least becomes apparent) initiating a download.

11-27-2013 07:16 AM

Posted by:
brian163

Anyone out there? If there is some other diagnostic info you need, please tell me what it is. But I paid for this app and it's no longer working properly. A few minutes ago, the Safari plugin process was grabbing 100% of one CPU and wouldn't let go after I attempted a download.

At least provide some acknowledgment that your investigating these issues.

11-27-2013 01:14 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

We are working on an update for Safari 6.1 and Safari 7, but there is no release date fixed yet. As a side note, iGetter plugin is not written specifically for Safari and its common location means that all browsers load and use it.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

11-27-2013 07:19 PM

Posted by:
brian163

Thank you for the update.

Does your second statement mean that using an alternative browser, say Firefox, is a confirmed work around for the problem?

Or are you just noting a challenge related to providing a plug-in for the Mac OS platform? (I believe it was Apple that established the framework allowing developers to write to a single plug-in standard and thus a shared "Internet Plug-ins" directory.)

I'll certainly try Firefox if it gets me around the problem until an update is released.

11-28-2013 06:54 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

iGetter v2.9.2 plugin works with Firefox, Chrome, Opera and some other browsers. Similar to Safari 7 new security policy, latest versions of Firefox and Chrome also require user permission of any browser plugin on per-site basis (which is very tedious) or globally.

To see if iGetter plugin is allowed in Firefox, use the Firefox "Add-ons" Tools menu command, then chose "Plugins" and select "Always Activate" option for the two iGetter plugins. In the "Add-ons" page -> "Extensions" panel, make sure iGetter Extension is also enabled (it's required for the contextual menu commands "Download (all/selection) with iGetter").

In Chrome type "about:plugins" (without quotes) in the Chrome's address bar and check "Always allowed" options for the two iGetter Plugins there. Also, enable iGetter extension at "about:extensions" (without quotes) Chrome's page.

If you wish you may turn OFF iGetter "Integrate with Internet browsers" Tools menu function to uninstall iGetter plugin. Then you can use Firefox (with the FlashGot add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220/). Here is how the Firefox "Save As" dialog will look like, so you can download with iGetter:

Regards,
iGetter Support

05-26-2014 10:48 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Safari 7.0.4 (also 6.1.4) seems to fix memory consumption problem with the iGetter plugin (explained above). Here is the list of fixes in Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6254

@Brian163 - Can you confirm that Safari 7.0.4 fixes that problem on your machine with the current iGetter v2.9.2?

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply