Are you still working on iGetter?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

11-08-2014 07:57 AM

Posted by:
B. Jansen

Find more posts by B. Jansen

As the last update for iGetter came over one year ago I just wonder if you are still working on it. Can we reckon on a new version in the near future?

iGetter is a good product but it is really slow. When it's downloading something you can't do anything with it.

11-11-2014 09:12 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Since we haven't received any such report as well as we don't experience any slow downloading with iGetter v2.9.2, would you please clarify what you mean by "When it's downloading something you can't do anything with it."?

Please specify also:
1. What kind of Internet connection you use and what speed you can reach with some US server on http://www.speedtest.net?

2. On what HDD you download: network drive, internal SSD, etc.?

3. How may downloads are started simultaneously and how many segments per download you have set at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel?

4. Do you experience the same problem when you download some of the Apple updates here:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/

5. Is iGetter speed limit function turned on (menu Downloads > Obey Speed Limit) and at what value? If you experience slow browsing with your browser, then you need to turn iGetter speed limit on.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

11-11-2014 04:39 PM

Posted by:
B. Jansen

When iGetter is working I only see the beach ball spinning until the download is over.

1. Cable 150 MBit/s, 80 MBit/s with an US server

2. Fusion Drive

3. Two parallel downloads, 9 segments per download, iGetter uses 45% CPU

4. Yes

5. No speed limit, browser is browsing fast

11-12-2014 09:34 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Here is what you may try:
1. If the problem appears only when you use Safari, you have to update at least to Safari 7.0.4 (also 6.1.4). This version seems to fix memory consumption problem that affects iGetter plugin.

2. Set your connection type to 100Mb Ethernet (or 20Mb Ethernet) at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel.

3. OS X AppNap feature sometimes limits app resources (when machine is idle) which causes very slow downloading in iGetter. You can easily disable it for the iGetter app using Finder "Get Info (Cmd+I)" command and then turn on "Prevent AppNap" option. See this info:
http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/disable-app-nap-os-x-mavericks/

4. Some SSDs make internal file optimization by compressing files. Intensive writing to such disks may cause a problem. Options that directly influence HDD work are:
> "Max simultaneous downloads" at iGetter preferences, General panel. Set it to 2.
> "Default number of segments" at iGetter preferences, Acceleration tab panel. Set it to 4 or less.

Regards,
iGetter Support

Post was updated on Nov. 12, 2014. Similar thread is this one:
http://www.igetter.net/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=1493

11-13-2014 05:00 AM

Posted by:
B. Jansen

I have a brand new iMac Retina 5K running OS X 10.10 Yosemite. So I'm already using Safari 8.0.

AppNap is disabled for iGetter.

I'll try it with 4 or less segments per file.

11-13-2014 10:43 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

If the problem persists, please make a sample file with Activity Monitor app (it's is in your /Applications/Utilities folder). In Activity Monitor select iGetter and click on the Inspect button. On the opened dialog click on the "Sample" button. Then save the resulting report by the "Save as..." button. Finally, send the file to .

Thanks,
iGetter Support

11-15-2014 05:52 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by

The problem still persists and I've send you the requested sample file.

I have another problem. Sometimes iGetter says "there is not enough disk space" although I have 3 TB free on that drive. What can I do?

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply