Major obstacle to easy downloading
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

01-11-2002 05:30 AM

Posted by:
Derek Hayes

Find more posts by Derek Hayes

In general I am pleased with iGetter but there is a major disadvantage.

During any significant download, for whatever reason, whenever I get a disconnection of my modem (SupraFaxModem 288: 366), iGetter is unable to redial & resume.

The problem seems to lie with "Internet Connect" which I find is still showing its "Disconnect" button even though the modem is clearly disconnected. If I click the Disconnect button then Internet Connect disconnects and then iGetter redials & resumes the download.

The result is that I cannot rely on any download and have to be continually monitoring iGetter to continue downloading.

I saw recently a thread where there was mention of the multi IP interfaces of OS X being responsible, but apart from my modem I am not aware of any other active IP interfaces. For example, to the best of my understanding, I have no LAN card, only a USB card for my printer and a Firewire card for an external hard disk.

Perhaps someone could explain exactly what a "IP interface" is and list the possible culprits that might be confusing iGetter.

My Mac is a Power Mac G3 266 with OS X 10.1.2 installed.

iGetter support talks of providing an option to choose the connection port in the next version.

In the meantime is it possible to write an Applescript script that asks whether iGetter is open AND the modem is disconnected AND Internet Connect is connected and if this is so, disconnects Internet Connect. This sequence would take place whenever the modem disconnects.

This should enable iGetter to redial and resume its download.

I would appreciate a reply to the IP interface query and the Applescript possibility.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply