Watching video while downloading it
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

11-30-2014 07:11 AM

Posted by:
Johnny Penser

Find more posts by Johnny Penser

I use iGetter to download videos. Just after starting the download, I start watching the video (just like streaming from youtube but it's being saved on my hard drive).

The problem is, iGetter downloads the first segment and jumps to a random[?] segment. So I have to stop the video until it downloads segment #2.

It would be really nice if the user could change the priority of segments so that it would download top segments first. [or more preferably, a streaming video option]

Thanks...

12-01-2014 09:04 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

If you try to play a media download (in another app) that is still in progress in iGetter, then you may be able to play the parts which iGetter has successfully downloaded (see iGetter Chart panel). It all depends if the download speed will be fast enough for the playback to work. Currently, iGetter segments algorithm is not optimized for media streaming, but for faster completion. However, you may try the following:

1. Set "Default number of segments" to 1-4 at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel.
2. Set "Minimal segment size" to 50 000 KB at at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel.

Note that some media players (i.e. iTunes) copy the media file to another location, so it's not advisable to use any iGetter download that is still in progress.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply