Clarification: segment, connection, download
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

02-14-2015 12:14 PM

Posted by:
Kirby Krieger

Find more posts by Kirby Krieger

Could anyone specify what is meant in iGetter by "segment", "connection", and "download"?

I'm trying to understand how the following settings interact:
- (1) Preferences > General > Max simultaneous downloads
- (2) Preferences > Acceleration > Default number of segments
- (3) Preferences > Site Manager > {Site} > Max simultaneous connections for this site

Here's what I think. Please confirm or correct.
- (1) is global and sets the max number of concurrent iGetter _jobs_.
- (2) is the number of segments per job. Is this a max? When is the default not used? Is a segment the same (in this context) as a thread?
- (3) Do connections = segments?

I want to be able to set:
- segments per job
- concurrent jobs per host
- concurrent jobs per session

How do I do that?

Thank you.

02-16-2015 09:38 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

1. "Max simultaneous downloads" at iGetter preferences, General panel, allows you to specify the number of files that you want iGetter to download simultaneously. The total number of connections which iGetter will create is the total number of all running segments at a given time (i.e. 8 connections could be 1 running download with 8 segments or 2 running downloads with 4 segments).

2. "Default number of segments" at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel, allows you to set the default number of segments of each new download. You can adjust that number at "Item Settings" dialog of each download. If you turn on "Open save dialog on new download" option at iGetter preferences, General panel, then you may adjust manually the number of segments of each new download.

3. If you want to limit the number of connections that iGetter will create per site, you can use iGetter preferences, Site Manager panel. You can enter the maximum number of connections for this site. This is useful for servers that apply restrictions when particular number of connections is exceeded.

02-16-2015 11:20 AM

Posted by:
Kirby Krieger

Find more posts by Kirby Krieger

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply (and for cleaning up my initial post).

"The total number of connections which iGetter will create is the total number of all running segments at a given time "

Is "connection" interchangeable with "segment"? Why is one term used in some places, and the other in others?

So I can set the:
- max number of concurrent downloads ( at "Preferences > General")
- the default number of concurrent connections per download (at "Preferences > Acceleration"),
- the actual number of concurrent connections for selected downloads (at "{right-click} > Item Settings"), and
- the max number of concurrent connections for specified sites (at "Preferences > Site Manager")

... but I can not set the max number of downloads for specified sites, and I cannot set a default number of connections per download _per site_?

Is that right?

02-17-2015 05:59 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

"Segment" is a part of the download. To download a segment, iGetter creates a connection to the remote server. So, if you wish, you may put an equal sign between number of running segments and number of connections.

Site Manager allows per site limit of total number of connections. In this case, iGetter will not create new connections over that limit for that specific site. You can't set "Default number of segments" per site and "Max simultaneous downloads" per site. These options are global for all downloads.

There are two obstacles that you should consider:
1. You can't exceed the maximum bandwidth of your Internet connection.
2. You can't download all downloads in the queue simultaneously (i.e. if you have 10 or more downloads), due to your Internet connection limit as well as system resource limits (HDD, RAM). So, each download in the iGetter queue has a queue number. You can think about this as the lines outside the Apple stores, when a new iPhone is announced.

Finally, iGetter usually downloads at full speed even if you set "Default number of segments" to 4 and "Max simultaneous downloads" to 2.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply