Will it be spyware?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

06-11-2001 09:13 PM

Posted by:
Bernard

Find more posts by Bernard

Will the final version of I-getter be spyware? You know what I mean. I have no objection to a fixed banner in the program window. I have problems with an additional program running in the backgroung (Radiate/Aureate/Onflow/Savenow) that does God-knows-what...

Most Windows download managers are spyware

An additional question. When I delete the program, what will happen to the I-Getter commands in the contextual menu? Will they be correctly removed or will they stay there, like they do in many Windows download managers?

I would like to install I-Getter on the I-Mac of my 71 year old father so that he can download long movie trailers. But I don't want to mess up his system...That is why I ask these questions.

As for Myself, I own a PC and have Flashget download manager installed on it. It is spyware, but I don't care much. I can get rid of everything if I want to. But I am not so much at ease in the Mac environment.

Thanks

06-13-2001 07:49 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Bernard,
iGetter Pre Release versions are completely free and are not spyware.
The final version of iGetter will be shareware without any ads. We also plan iGetter sponsored mode version for those users who want to use the program for free.

Deleting iGetter will not remove automatically contextual menu commands. You must delete manually 'iGetterCMPlugin' from 'System Folder'->'Contextual Menu Items'.

Regards,
iGetter Support

06-13-2001 09:35 PM

Posted by:
Bernard

Find more posts by Bernard

Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate about the "sponsored mode" ? Can you explain in more details how it will work ? Will it depend on another program running in the background ? Would this program always be running, or only when I-Getter is running?

Bernard

06-14-2001 04:53 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Bernard,
The version of iGetter in sponsored mode is just an idea. For today it is not implemented yet. We will try to find sponsors for iGetter ad version. There is not developed adware SDK engine for Mac platform, and we plan to develop our own for iGetter. This engine will be added to the iGetter main program, and it will works only when iGetter is launched.

If you mean iGetter Click Catcher background application in this pre release, it only looks for the Netscape Navigator/Communicator clicks on the hyperlinks.

Regards,
iGetter Support

07-05-2001 11:46 AM

Posted by:
Joseph

Find more posts by Joseph

iGetter spyware and pricing ideas

I think there should be a spyware version and a free, addless version for schools, charities, and other non-profit organizations. That is how Fetch does it.

Joseph

BTW: iGetter is a perfect product already!

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply