El Capitan's System Integrity Protection may be causing iGetter to crash
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

11-28-2015 10:35 AM

Posted by:
Linda

Find more posts by Linda

I have a 2013 MacPro and have used iGetter for many years without any problems. Since upgrading to El Capitan, I have found a few downloads via iGetter have been corrupt. Each time I got a bad download, if I tried to view it or even copy it to another drive, my Mac would freeze up and restart. After rebooting, it would do the same thing again if I tried doing those same steps. Deleting the files was the only thing I could do.

Of course, I figured the files were bad files. Eventually, I started to suspect iGetter might be the problem. I was reading an article about SIP, which is new in El Capitan. It is a System Integrity Protection which is supposed to help prevent malware from being installed. Apparently, some third party apps cannot work properly with SIP (such as Default Folder and others). It made me wonder if iGetter might be one of those apps? In the meantime, I have been downloading stuff the old fashioned way, with my web browser. Have had no bad files since I have been doing it that way.

11-30-2015 05:52 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

iGetter has no relation to System Integrity Protection in El Capitan. It also never requires administrator privileges nor it writes to protected system folders. So, your particular problem (the first one of such kind) most probably is related to the following issue.

While iGetter downloads some file, you can't move it to other locations. You may be able to open such file (i.e. media file), but in most cases you may get a corrupted file error. iGetter must complete the download first. Finished downloads are listed in iGetter History list. If some download is still in iGetter Downloads list, then it's incomplete.

Would you please provide exact steps to reproduce the problem with some public download link i.e. some of the Apple downloads:
http://support.apple.com/downloads

What is your "Default Folder" set in iGetter preferences, General panel?

Thanks,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply