Pin Wheel on High Sierra?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

01-03-2018 09:33 AM

Posted by:
Winchy

Find more posts by Winchy

Is it just me or does someone else also see the dreaded spinning pinwheel every time I drag and drop a URL on the app interface.

Mind you, I rather this worked on Firefox, but since that does not seem to be an option, I am forced to use the full app, only it does not seem to work work well.

Draggin' one or two is OK, more than that and it just goes to never never land.

Is this by design?

01-04-2018 12:51 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

You may install manually iGetter add-on in Firefox 57 as explained here:
http://igetter.net/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=1658

You're the first to complain about drag&drop slowdown, so we will try it. You may look in Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) that will show which app is not responding Firefox or iGetter.

01-05-2018 07:28 PM

Posted by:
Winchy

Pin Wheel on High Sierra

Thank you. I found that thread after I posted. I will certainly give it a try.

Also, let me know if you need help replicating the issue. I can replicate it every time.

I am all for helping out.

Thanks

01-08-2018 06:24 AM

Posted by:
Winchy

Pin Wheel on High Sierra

Just to let you know the extension for firefox 57 works fine but the app still chokes after the 3rd or so download.
It goes into the pinwheel for about 2-3 minutes then it restarts the downloads but it goes into the pinwheel again after about 1 minute for another 2-3.

Other that that, iGetter works fine.

01-09-2018 12:53 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Would you please send to the email below a public site and some steps to reproduce the problem. Also, your options for "Max simultaneous downloads" and "Default number of segments".

When iGetter is not responding, please open your system Activity Monitor app (it's in you /Applications/Utilities folder), then select iGetter and click on the Inspect button. On the opened dialog click on the "Sample" button. Then save the resulting report by the "Save as..." button and send it to .

Thanks,
iGetter Support

01-17-2018 08:27 AM

Posted by:
Winchy

Pin Wheel on High Sierra?

Sorry, I missed this response. Thank you.

Yes, funny you mention this because I had already taken the dump of then iGetter was not responding.

I can replicate this issue in any number of ways.

I sent the email you requested. Let me know if you need anything else.

03-22-2018 03:02 PM

Posted by:
DragonMan

Find more posts by DragonMan

pinwheel

Same here in High Sierra and every system for the last ten years or so (all with Firefox or Waterfox). Activity Monitor always says Igetter Not Responding in red letters and its the ONLY app in red. This happens with clicked links in contextual menu and in additions from the clipboard, but never in the first few minutes. Sometimes after ten good minutes. And it comes and goes after the first time. Trying one at a time hasn't stopped it. Having iGetter the only running app hasn't stopped it. Killing the Finder hasn't stopped it. Compacting memory in the Console periodically hasn't solved it. Restarting all apps every ten minutes hasn't solved it. With or without Autostart hasn't solved it. Restarting the computer after ten minutes hasn't solved it. Having lots of ram on a fast machine hasn't solved it.

The good part is, if you can call it that, is that the downloads will continue as displayed in network traffic in Activity Monitor but they don't add visually in the que and so you can't stop duplicate files and you can't tell if links are working. It's frustrating. Ten years waiting, soon a fix?

03-23-2018 07:54 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Personally, I use iGetter regularly with Firefox (always latest versions) and such problem has not appeared even remotely. iGetter is one one of the few apps on my Mac that uses very little resources while downloading (~10% CPU and 20MB RAM). The only case when iGetter uses more CPU for a brief period (Activity Monitor shows about 80% CPU/20MB RAM) is when it calculates MD5 and SHA1 checksums. But iGetter never goes unresponsive even in those moments.

The person that started this thread sent us a Sample as we requested, but never send us a public site, so we can't reproduce the problem. In his sample I counted 15 threads writing to the HDD, which may cause slowdown. My advice in such cases is to decrease "Max simultaneous downloads" to 2 and "Default number of segments" to 4.

Also, that particular user used some kind of VPN or Anonymizer app which if bad implemented may slowdown not only iGetter, but the whole system.

Make sure that you don't download on a NAS/AFP network volumes.

So, if you want a fix, you need to follow the instruction above and send to our support email a sample from Activity Monitor while iGetter is not-responding and a public site with exact steps to reproduce the issue.

09-02-2018 08:55 AM

Posted by:
B. Jansen

Find more posts by B. Jansen

I also have this problem with iGetter. With only 2 simultaneous downloads iGetter doesn't respond for a while and causes 100% cpu load or even more.

09-03-2018 05:52 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

@B. Jansen
This thread is about slow drag&drop of more that two URLs from Firefox, which we never reproduced.

Your last Sample that you sent to us is from Nov. 15, 2014, where we noticed that you download on a network volume. Chances are that your environment is different since 2014, so we need a NEW sample as we requested multiple times.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply