< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

06-12-2002 03:57 AM

Posted by:
Kathy

Find more posts by Kathy

Hi,

I used to be able to resume downloads but now I can't.
I uninstalled and then reinstalled but every time I pause
the download and then restart it goes back to the
beginning which is very frustrating as I'm on a 56
modem and am trying to download over 100mg.

Please help. thanks.
Kathy

06-12-2002 04:23 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Kathy,
The problem you've reported is related to the ability of download servers to resume or not the downloads hosted on them. iGetter has a table column named Resume. There you can see if the server supports resuming and if "yes" you can freely pause and resume this download. But if there is written "No", every disconnection from this server will cause starting of the download from the beginning.

Regards,
iGetter Support

06-19-2002 11:41 PM

Posted by:
Dave

Find more posts by Dave

Note, however,

that it will say "no" in the "Resume" column until you actually begin downloading the file, at which point it will switch to "yes" if, and only if, the server supports resuming of downloads.

IMO, it is unlikely that you will be able to complete the download a 100mb file on a 56k connection if the server does not support resuming. As I recall, it will probably take 3-4 minutes per mb, which translates to a 5-7 hour *continuous* connection if you cannot resume the download. My experience has been that *something* is likely to happen during that period that will stop the download (more often than not, it will be the server side that cuts you off). You may eventually get it, but be prepared to make numerous attempts.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply