< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

09-28-2002 04:34 PM

Posted by:
Diogo

Find more posts by Diogo

Hi,

I have a problem not directly related to iGetter, but you may be able to help me!

I have a Cable internet connection that might not be working properly! I can´t download any file. I always keep my IP, I can PING any machine whitout any problems but I can´t keep any download whatever program I use.

When using iGetter, the download starts at normal speed but then it stops just after 30 or 40K with this error:

Network error: 268435556

Do you have any idea of what is going on with my connection?
My ISP says everithing is ok since they can PING my modem and it responds back. I can do the same but I sure can't download any file. Even Apple's software update doesn't work.

Connecting through the 56K modem works perfectly!

thanks

diogo

10-05-2002 09:16 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Diogo,
The network error 268435556 is "Operation timed out. Server not responding?". It means that iGetter tries to connect to the server, but doesn't receive any response.

See all your Network settings in the System Preferences, especially the DNS and Proxy settings (you may switch on the "Use passive FTP mode (PASV)" option in the Proxies panel).

It's possible the ping to work, but if your ISP uses proxies you must set them. Often it is only HTTP proxy for HTTP and FTP protocols.

Regards,
iGetter Support

05-04-2006 11:29 AM

Posted by:
r3st0re

Find more posts by r3st0re

I get network error: 268435556. The location of the file I am trying to download is on an ftp server. I submitted the correct username and password (checked that several times) and I have absolutley no problems downloading the file via the command line tool "ftp". What's going on here?

05-05-2006 11:33 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

This error may occur if you have set to 0 the "Timeout connection attempts after '#' sec." option at the iGetter Options, Connections panel. This option determines how long iGetter to wait for a response (by default it is 60 sec.).

If this is not the case try to switch on "Use passive FTP mode (PASV)" option at System Preferences, Network, Proxies tab panel.

Regards,
iGetter Support

05-05-2006 02:28 PM

Posted by:
r3st0re

"Timeout connection attempts after '#' sec" is set to 60.
"passive FTP mode (PASV)" is on.

I still get the same error.

05-09-2006 06:32 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Do you use a Firewall or Proxy?

Does your file transfer transcript ("Segments" tab panel) look like this one:

---
Connecting to: ftp.allume.com
USER anonymous
331 User name okay, please send complete E-mail address as password.
PASS
230 User logged in, proceed.
TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
SIZE /pub/pub/pc/StuffIt/StuffItStandard9.exe
213 14650070
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (207,67,226,145,16,223)
REST 995328
350 Restarting at 995328 - send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer.
RETR /pub/pub/pc/StuffIt/StuffItStandard9.exe
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for StuffItStandard9.exe (14650070 bytes).
---

05-09-2006 04:56 PM

Posted by:
r3st0re

I am using a firewall.
I am using NO proxy.

---- Start request: 5/9/06 9:08:58 PM
Connecting to: <ip of the server>
USER <username>
331 Password required for <username>.
PASS •••••••
230 User <username> logged in.
TYPE I
200 Type set to I
SIZE /path/to/the/file.txt
213 2339585439
PORT 192,168,0,4,210,66
200 PORT command successful
REST 1
350 Restarting at 1. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer
REST 0
350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer
RETR /path/to/the/file.txt
QUIT

05-10-2006 06:58 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

The existence of the PORT command means that you need to turn on the PASV option at your System preferences, Network panel. The problem is related to the FTP protocol which in active mode (PORT command) tries to open a port for listening on your machine, but your firewall blocks it. In such situations it's preferable to use the passive FTP mode. iGetter uses the System preferences option "Use passive FTP mode (PASV)" to determine in what mode to download from FTP servers. So as we wrote before you just need to turn this option on. The following picture shows how you can do that. Note that you must choose the Network interface that goes to the Internet (in the example below it's Ethernet)

Regards,
iGetter Support

05-10-2006 01:12 PM

Posted by:
r3st0re

I connect to the internet via Ethernet. Passive FTP is on. I unchecked, checked the box again and applied the settings several time. iGetter always uses the PORT command. iGetter obviouly fails in determining whether passive FTP is on or not. Any ideas?

05-11-2006 07:07 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

It's very possible that if you have more than one network interfaces (and your Internet interface is not set as prior) iGetter may look at the wrong interface to get the FTP option. It seems that the last thing you can try is to turn on PASV option on all of your network interfaces or to move your Internet interface on the top of network interfaces list. If the problem persists we would like to ask you to send to igettersupport(at)presenta.net more information about your system and network interfaces so we can reproduce the problem and eventually fix it.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

05-14-2006 07:07 AM

Posted by:
r3st0re

I narrowed the problem down to the fact that I had an active internet connection but System Preferences was telling me I had not. When System Preferences believes that there is an active internet connection iGetter was able to recognize that passive FTP mode was on and everything worked fine. I haven't fully figured out yet why System Preferences sometimes tells me I had no active internet connection although I have.

Thanks for your help.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply