< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

12-09-2002 05:00 PM

Posted by:
Diego

Find more posts by Diego

Hi.
Since I'm not sure they are bugs I post here my doubts, questions and suggestions in hope that iGetter creators reads this forum (they should is their!) :)

Well after a while that i evaluated iGetter alone pasting manualli urls I tried today the browser integration with Mozilla 1.2.Hi.
Since I'm not sure they are bugs I post here my doubts, questions and suggestions in hope that iGetter creators reads this forum (they should is their!) :)

Well after a while that i evaluated iGetter alone pasting manualli urls I tried today the browser integration with Mozilla 1.2.
The problme is that every time I click on a link belonging to a file iGetter starts dowloading but the web page I'm visiting becomes grey with a message that tells me to press "back".
Is this the normal iGetter behaviour?
I hope no becouse I cannot browse web this way.
If I have mistaked something someone kind can explain me how to avoid the continuos restoring un page back?

Then Here in Italy there are some uncommon ADSL connections bitrates between the default 256 and 512.
I have a 300 Kbps ADSL connection and would like to see it in the prefs panel as a choice.
Since I have seen 320, 640, and 1024 ADSL offers the best thing should be offer the ability to fine tune the value by hand instead of few hardcoded values that can be standard in one country and not in others.

I must have messed up with the plugins and now iGetter doesn't catch up links anymore but I have a lot of files in queue. Tomorrowm, when all is dowloaded I will try out to solve this problem by myself otherwise a second post from my will follow :)

Best regards.
IGetter is a great product and I thing I will register if some glitches will were tuned.

12-10-2002 07:04 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Diego,
Because of browsers restrictions we can use a limited plug-in method for intercepting download URLs (which include also automatically started URLs within the page). That cause showing the notification page for intercepting the download. We always look for a better way to integrate iGetter and hope that the new browser versions will give us much freedom.

iGetter for MacOS X for now integrates well with IE, Netscape 7.x, Mozilla and Chimera. Mozilla browsers are frequently updated and we recommend you to make a test with iGetter to be sure that iGetter browser's plug-in works well with your version. By default iGetter will intercept only : sit, bin, hqx, zip, gz, tgz files, set in the iGetter Integration preferences.

To check that the iGetter plug-in is loaded in Netscape/Mozilla, start the browser and go to Help->'About plug-ins' function. iGetter plug-in must be listed there.

Regarding the connection type that you must set in the Acceleration preferences, there is no need iGetter to include all possible connection types in the world. The listed one show approximately any near to your real speed rate. In your case you can choose "256K Cable/DSL" connection. Based upon this option, iGetter will change/recommend the segment size and default number of segments listed below as well as some internal TCP settings to optimize downloading speed. iGetter will use the maximum of your connection even if you don't set the connection type option, but choosing an option near to your real connection type will cause a better performance in downloading with iGetter.

Regards,
iGetter Support

12-10-2002 11:49 AM

Posted by:
Diego

Find more posts by Diego

I don't agree.
I tweaked a bit with the Acceleration panel and you can easely figure out that the values are not calculated in a linear manner.

from 128 Kbps dual channel ISDN to 256 Kbps ADSL the min size doubles from 40 to 80 KB but the instead of the espected 160 KB for the 512 Kbps ADSL you get 120.

Leave the pop up with some standard values but give us advanced users a field to put the exact bitrate so iGetter can calculate for the optimal then let us fine tuning.

I tried to emulate 300 putting 512 and reduceing the segment size interpolating the values but the Speed Limit slider goes unconfortable and pretty imprecise to use.

A suggestion.
Can you provide finer steps and instant feedback when moving the slider?
The values change very rapidly and you cannot se what value of speed limit is set unless you release the slider.

Thank you for your attencion.
We greatly appreciate it.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply