How to schedule downloads
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

04-18-2003 10:34 AM

Posted by:
pete

Find more posts by pete

The documentation is rather skimpy. I am trying to schedule all downloads to start according to a schedule I made up. No matter what settings I set in the menu's or in the schedule, everything downloads right away. How can I get all downloads to comply with my schedule?

One file type iGetter doesn't recognize at all is the .dmg - it doesn't do anything with those.

Also - if my computer is asleep - will iGetter wake it up? Would be nice if there was a 'put to sleep' option instead of a shut-down option after finishing the downloads.

04-23-2003 07:28 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Pete,
iGetter can schedule the automatic downloading function if the following requirements are fulfilled:
1. Your computer must be turned on and must not be not in sleep mode (turn off sleeping from the Energy Saver control panel).
2. iGetter must be started.

iGetter Schedule function is designed to set the automatic downloading function on and then it can hang-up and/or shutdown your computer. That means that your downloads in the queue must be ready for downloading with a proper priority and in pending state. If any download is manually paused it will not be included in the automatic downloading. So you must verify which files you want iGetter to download in schedule mode and set them (if it's necessary) to pending state from the menu Downloads->Set download to pending item or set the priority 'Don't download' to those files that you don't want to be downloaded in the schedule mode.

You can set on the 'Redial modem if disconnected' option at the Schedule window to use a dial-up connection at a given start time. This option will reconnect your modem until all file downloads in the queue are finished. If you want iGetter to disconnect your modem when the files in the queue are done you must set on the 'Hang Up modem when done' option too. You can also stop (hang-up) the connection at a given time if you wish.

Note that on MacOS X iGetter will try to connect to the Internet by all available network interfaces. That means that if you have a LAN/Ethernet connection available iGetter will try to download from it and will not connect/hang-up your modem. To avoid this you must disable the Ethernet interface temporarily when you want iGetter to control (redial and hang-up) your modem.

It is always a good idea to check if iGetter will react as you expect. For example push the automatic downloading button (the most left button) and see how it will start the downloads. In the same way will do the schedule function. Next you can set the start and end time in the schedule function to see if it will connect and hang-up your modem.

Regarding the sleep option it's already implemented on MacOS 9 and we will include such feature in the future releases of iGetter for MacOS X, too.

To allow automatic interception of dmg files you must first add this extension in the iGetter integration preferences. This must be enough for Camino for example, but in Internet Explorer you must add also a file helper for this extension, otherwise dmg files from FTP locations will not be intercepted by iGetter. Surprisingly IE does not included this extension in its preferences. So start IE and open its preferences now open Receiving Files Group and select File Helpers panel. Push Add button and write the following info:

Description: Disk Image File
Extension: .dmg
MIME type: application/octet-stream
Application: Browse->Disk Copy
Encoding: Binary
How to handle: View with plug-in
Plug-in name: iGetter plugin

If you talk about Safari and iGetter, 'dmg' extension is exclusively used from Safari and it doesn't obey the plug-in configuration for this file type.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply