Downloads 6x file size...
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

07-03-2003 01:24 AM

Posted by:
Bob

Find more posts by Bob

I tried a download this morning of a 10Mb file and later noticed that my network monitoring software had logged a total of 61Mb of data transferred from the remote site.

Is this normal??

I have iGetter configured to use 3 segments, of 120Kb each with a 90Kb rollback on failure. iGetter made 43 individual connection.

Can someone please explain how this could add up to 61Mb? I have a usage cap on my ADSL so if iGetter routinely downloads 6 times the file size, I can't keep using it!

07-03-2003 05:21 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Bob,
From your explanation we see that you have adjusted manually some of the settings that iGetter uses to download. However, even these adjustments can't cause iGetter to download 6 times more data. If for some reason iGetter can't download your file it will set your download in broken state. In no case iGetter will start your download from the beginning without your knowledge.

Just for information, the 'Rollback' option determines how many Kbytes of your download will be retraced before resuming. We recommend you to set this field to 4 KB, because 90 KB is an unreasonable value for this operation. The rollback method is used to avoid data errors at the end of the download/segment if the connection is interrupted.

The 'Minimal segment size' Acceleration option is automatically set when you choose a proper connection type. Minimal segment size is the smallest segment size that iGetter will attempt to download.

And for last, it's possible if you have used the schedule function or if you have set on the Auto downloading function (the most left button with two green triangles), iGetter will download all downloads in the queue (with a pending state) until they are done.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply