Just as slow
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

07-07-2003 02:03 AM

Posted by:
Jean

Find more posts by Jean

I must be doing something wrong because it isn't downloading any faster than my regular download manager...any ideas?

Thanks.

07-07-2003 06:49 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Jean,
To use properly the acceleration ability of iGetter you must follow these rules:
1. First of all you must set your connection type at the iGetter Acceleration preferences.
2. Make sure that the "Obey Speed Limit" function from the Downloads menu is not set on.
3. Don't increase the download segments more than the default number of segments value.
4. Don't start more than 2-3 downloads simultaneously.
5. If the server doesn't support resuming (note that most of the Internet servers support resuming) iGetter will be unable to accelerate your download. It will download with one segment as your browser do.

Regards,
iGetter Support

07-07-2003 12:05 PM

Posted by:
Jean

Find more posts by Jean

Am I expecting too much?

I did as you suggested in your reply. I'm wondering, now, how fast I should be expecting the file to download? Maybe my expectations are too high. I have heard people exclaim that they download in a matter of minutes...even with fairly large files. I had a file of 74.5 MB and it took over an hour...is that about normal?

Thanks.

07-14-2003 04:45 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Jean,
There are two main reasons for a slow downloading:
1. Server from which you download is slow or applies limitations over the connections to it. You can try to search for Mirrors to accelerate your download.
2. Your connection to the Internet or just to this server is not too fast as you expect.

iGetter accelerates a download using two or more segments downloading simultaneously (you can set the number of segments from the Item Settings dialog). iGetter will use the maximum bandwidth available to the server from which you download. Limitations applied today from some servers, slow servers or a slow connection to the Internet may cause iGetter to accelerate only to the point of limitation. We can help you better if you tell us what connection to the Internet you have, from what server you download and with how many segments.

Regards,
iGetter Support

07-15-2003 08:35 PM

Posted by:
Jean

Find more posts by Jean

answers

My internet connection is a cable modem at 256K,
I am downloading from neurox.com and
My preferences in iGetter are set at minimal segment size 80KB and # of segments is 8.

Hope that answers everything.

Thanks.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply