OS X dmg file would not mount
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

10-07-2003 09:41 PM

Posted by:
Beatrice

Find more posts by Beatrice

I downloaded the combo 10.2.8 with iGetter, twice. Both times I got a 97 Meg file which would not mount. What is the problem?

10-09-2003 05:11 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Beatrice,
We recommend you first to check if your MacOSXUpdateCombo10.2.8.dmg download is properly downloaded. Following the Apple instructions you must open your Terminal application and write the following command:

/usr/bin/openssl sha1 [full path to your download]

Example: /usr/bin/openssl sha1 "/Download Folder/MacOSXUpdateCombo10.2.8.dmg"

You must receive the following SHA-1 result:
f823736e3ab87f8152826491f4ac0126d7aacc82

If this is OK, problem is not in your download, but in your Disk Copy application. You can find some instructions at Apple.com about this problem http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107288

Otherwise, you can try the free Mount.app (http://mount.houchin.us/) instead of Disk Copy.

Regards,
iGetter Support

10-10-2003 01:51 PM

Posted by:
Beatrice

Find more posts by Beatrice

OS X dmg file would not mount

Thanks so much Presenta people. IGetter is great, and your advice was right on. After repairing permissions the file did mount and the check code on Terminal worked fine.

I had called Apple Care and the person there not only was rude to me for using a dialup connection, trying to make me feel guilty of insanity, but also did not tell me about the Apple article regarding non-mounting dmg files, and finally said to me Apple does not provide a code to check the integrity of the 10.2.8 file.
So I called Apple Care again and spoke with a supervisor to complain for the rudeness of their representative and for the two wrong pieces of information he gave me.

11-03-2003 01:53 AM

Posted by:
Marius van Wyk

Find more posts by Marius van Wyk

OS X mount problem solutions.

The main problem caused by this is your 'unknown' and/or other standard guest accounts being disabled or modified.

I had some trouble getting my Samba to work, and I messed around with these accounts... later I could not mount anything. All you basically need to do is to use the NetInfo Manager and fix these accounts. (And also check your /etc/passwd and /etc/groups file to be consistent with this.)

(Then also run a fix permissions...)

Regards,
Marius.

11-26-2004 08:48 AM

Posted by:
golabichan

Find more posts by golabichan

I cant mount .dmg files after messing with the accounts as Marius did.
after having problems I went ahead and deleted the new accounts but it still doesnt work.
Marius suggested using Netinfo Manager, but I cant understand how to use it to fix the problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

11-30-2004 12:41 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello,
You can try the free Mount.app (http://mount.houchin.us/) instead of Mac OS X Disk Copy.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply