iGetter .dmg Files Have Wrong Settings
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

12-13-2003 04:44 AM

Posted by:
john

Find more posts by john

When I dl .dmg files with iGetter they have the wrong creator, extension and type details. I can change these details with XRay but unless I do this the images will not mount. I am using Panther but this was also an issue with 10.2.6. Although it is not critical it is an inconvenience. I have tried repairing permissions but no improvement.

The original creator setting is iGet and the type is bzy7.

Any ideas how to sort this?

12-15-2003 07:53 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello John,
When iGetter downloads a file it sets for a file creator "iGet" and for type "Get1" to "Get5". It will never set file type "bzy7". When the download is finished iGetter takes the "dmg" type and creator set in the Internet Config settings.

To be sure that iGetter will set a proper creator and type you can start Internet Explorer and open its preferences. Now, open Receiving Files Group triangle and select File Helpers panel. Push Add button and write the following info:

Description: Disk Image File
Extension: .dmg
MIME type: application/octet-stream
Application: Browse->Disk Copy (The dmg file type is "disk" with creator "ddsk")
Encoding: Binary

Apple recommends developers to use file extension instead of file creator and type. So in v2.0 we will no more set file creators and types in the Mac OS X version of iGetter.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply