Password Protected downloads
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

06-16-2004 01:15 PM

Posted by:
Mike Vejar

Find more posts by Mike Vejar

I've been trying to download files from a couple password protected sites. I have the correct user/password in the "Login" in iGetter, but they still won't download. Stranger still, is that on other protected sites, my iGetter login works fine. Is there a way to tweek the iGetter prefs to download the protected files?

06-16-2004 01:35 PM

Posted by:
Mike Vejar

Find more posts by Mike Vejar

Also, when I download a file, it does download. It's not redirected and I don't get any error messages. The problem is that the file is only 5k (like a broken link). But I can view and download the file just fine in my browser.

06-17-2004 02:19 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Mike,
iGetter uses Basic HTTP Authentication (it's most used on the Internet now). If the server from which you download uses other type of authentication (for example Digest Access Authentication) you will not be able to download from this site with iGetter. However, the problem may be hidden also in a required cookie. In such case your browser's login cookie must be already saved for iGetter to use it. With Safari and Opera you must quit the browser to save the cookies. With other browsers Internet Explorer, iCab, Mozilla, OmniWeb saving of the cookies is made immediately. So you can try with another browser.

Also, you can try to change the Server/Path in the Log In prefs to "http://your server/path/" instead of "your server/path".

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply