weird problem with password downloads
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

10-13-2004 03:41 AM

Posted by:
tanders

Find more posts by tanders

Hi, I have some weird problems with login/password protected downloads (igetter 2.0):

- if I right click "download all", the downloads are always "waiting" like if the login is not working but if I add the files one by one, the download works!

- on another page no password protected download works if I don't add the login information for every single file!! (server path looks like this: http://www.server.com/files/file1.mpg and login/password are set for http://www.server.com/files/ in the igetter settings)

10-13-2004 05:00 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello,
The logic of downloading from password protected sites is this:

1. In the case when you set a password for some site in the Site Manager, iGetter will start your downloads without sending a password and if it receives a "401 Authorization Required" HTTP error it will search for a password in the Site Manager matching this site.

2. If you set a password for a specific download in its "Item Settings" or "New URL" window -> Advanced tab panel, password becomes individual and it will be send immediately with the first request.
If you have set a password for the same site in the Site Manager and then you open the download's Item Settings->Advanced tab panel you will see the password set in the Site Manager. If you click "Set" password will become individual for this download.

In your case, it seems that the server from which you download doesn't respond with "401 Authorization required" error and returns another error.
It will be fine if you see what error you receive for a download without an individual password set in the "New URL"->Advanced tab panel, but with a site password (set in the Site Manager).
You can check this if you open the transfer details panel (most left-bottom button), then choose "Segments" tab. Now start the download and select the first segment.

There you must see an iGetter request, then a HTTP 401 error response and then again an iGetter request including the field "Authorization: Basic ......" with a response HTTP 200 OK (or 206, 302, etc.).

If the sequence is not the same let us know what is different at igettersupport(at)presenta.net. A screenshot would be fine.

Regards,
iGetter Support

10-18-2004 04:26 PM

Posted by:
tanders

Find more posts by tanders

an email with a screenshot has been send.

Thanks!!

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply