iGetter hangs..crashes a lot
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

01-06-2005 06:08 PM

Posted by:
jazz

Find more posts by jazz

I am using iGetter with OS 10.2.8 and safari 1.0.3...

iGetter has 4 problems that I know of.

1. Slow response..very slow..I get spinning rainbow beach-balls all the time when in the process of DLing pages, especially when there are a great many files to download, but even when it is only 10 or so.

2. Insufficient cookie integration... one of the sites I DL from wants a cookie for everything you DL from it. This is common among pay site content. However the cookie hangs sometimes when using iGetter. No such problem when using safari for DLs

3. Slow DLs... large files download fast, but small files are excruciatingly slow, on the order of 1/10th the speed of a large file. This makes all the speed effect of a DL manager moot.

4. Crashes. I have to restart iGetter (and consequently Safari) approximately 1 time for every 100 files downloaded because of crashes. I do not have this problem with any other application on my system.

----

My questions are:

1. Will the problems go away with an upgrade in OS (and as a result, Safari as well) and how can one be sure of this?

2. will there be a place to indicate cookies (Getright has this) as opposed to a simple password for a site? this would make it possible to download without the use of the browser(..2 applications to do 1 job..inefficient.) in a future version?

----

I have no intentions of registering the software as long as these problems exist but if they are dealt with i will gladly register it.

Jazz

01-10-2005 05:52 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Jazz,

Q: > 1. Slow response..very slow..I get spinning rainbow beach-balls all the time when in the process of DLing pages, especially when there are a great many files to download, but even when it is only 10 or so.

A: The "Process Web Page" function uses the cached in your browser web page when you use the Safari's contextual function "Download all with iGetter". If you type or paste a page URL directly in "Process Web Page" dialog, iGetter will download and then analyze the web page. So, it's a good practice to use the browser's contextual function "Download all with iGetter". (If the page has frames select the specific frame first).

Q: > 2. Insufficient cookie integration... one of the sites I DL from wants a cookie for everything you DL from it. This is common among pay site content. However the cookie hangs sometimes when using iGetter. No such problem when using safari for DLs

A: iGetter uses the stored in your browser cookies when the server from which you download requires cookie to be send. You can specify the browser from which iGetter to grab the cookie in the New URL (or Item Settings) dialog of each download. Getright for Microsoft Windows, that you mention in your post, opens its own dialog only for web page forms (note that some servers do not set cookies by this way). The same work you will do if you use your browser to fill the web form and set the required cookie. When the download appears it must be transferred to iGetter automatically.

Q: > 3. Slow DLs... large files download fast, but small files are excruciatingly slow, on the order of 1/10th the speed of a large file. This makes all the speed effect of a DL manager moot.

A: It's obvious that you can't download a 400 MB file and a 10 KB file with 5 segments (for example). Default number of segments is set according to your connection type in the Acceleration panel preferences. You can do one of these two things to fix the problem. You can use 1 segment when you download small files (set the number of segments in the New URL (or Item Settings) dialog). Or you can set the default number of segments to 1 or 2 (Acceleration panel preferences) and when you download large files increase the number of segments (pause the download, open its Item Settings dialog (double click over the download) and set 3 or more segments. You can also increase the "Minimal segment size" value in the Acceleration panel preferences.

Number of segments are dependent on your connection type, file size and the connection to the download server. If configured properly iGetter will reach the best speed for your downloads. It requires a little investigation to set a proper "Minimal segment size" and "Default number of segments" values. In most of the cases default values are sufficient.

Q: > 4. Crashes. I have to restart iGetter (and consequently Safari) approximately 1 time for every 100 files downloaded because of crashes. I do not have this problem with any other application on my system.

It seems that there is some problem, but we can't tell you what until we see the crash log of iGetter. Possible reasons may be: use of more that one download managers integrated with your browser; use of more than one version of iGetter on the same machine. It would be fine if you update your Safari browser as well (v1.0.3 is a little older).

Happy New Year,
iGetter Support

01-10-2005 09:45 AM

Posted by:
Jazz

Find more posts by Jazz

A: The "Process Web Page" function uses the cached in your browser web page when you use the Safari's contextual function "Download all with iGetter". If you type or paste a page URL directly in "Process Web Page" dialog, iGetter will download and then analyze the web page. So, it's a good practice to use the browser's contextual function "Download all with iGetter". (If the page has frames select the specific frame first).

I always and only use the contextual menu "Download all with iGetter"..problem still exists

A: iGetter uses the stored in your browser cookies when the server from which you download requires cookie to be send. You can specify the browser from which iGetter to grab the cookie in the New URL (or Item Settings) dialog of each download. Getright for Microsoft Windows, that you mention in your post, opens its own dialog only for web page forms (note that some servers do not set cookies by this way). The same work you will do if you use your browser to fill the web form and set the required cookie. When the download appears it must be transferred to iGetter automatically.

theoretically yes..but realistically it does not work per my experience

A: It's obvious that you can't download a 400 MB file and a 10 KB file with 5 segments (for example). Default number of segments is set according to your connection type in the Acceleration panel preferences. You can do one of these two things to fix the problem. You can use 1 segment when you download small files (set the number of segments in the New URL (or Item Settings) dialog). Or you can set the default number of segments to 1 or 2 (Acceleration panel preferences) and when you download large files increase the number of segments (pause the download, open its Item Settings dialog (double click over the download) and set 3 or more segments. You can also increase the "Minimal segment size" value in the Acceleration panel preferences.

Number of segments are dependent on your connection type, file size and the connection to the download server. If configured properly iGetter will reach the best speed for your downloads. It requires a little investigation to set a proper "Minimal segment size" and "Default number of segments" values. In most of the cases default values are sufficient.

I will do this.

It seems that there is some problem, but we can't tell you what until we see the crash log of iGetter. Possible reasons may be: use of more that one download managers integrated with your browser; use of more than one version of iGetter on the same machine. It would be fine if you update your Safari browser as well (v1.0.3 is a little older).

As i mentioned....safari is not available with os10.2.x in any later version than the one i have. in order to get a new safari..i need to buy a new OS. I am beginning to think that a new OS would not help in this case..as was my original question.

J

01-11-2005 05:10 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Jazz,
Could you please send to our support email igettersupport(at)presenta.net some test URLs for we can test the "Process Web Page" function. I'm sorry for advising you to update your Safari to v1.2 I forgot that Apple distribute this version only for Mac OS X 10.3. However, iGetter v2.1 processes the www.fileavenue.com main page(with 63 links) for about a second. I made the test on Mac OS X 10.2.1 using Safari 1.0 (v85). Note that you must start iGetter first, otherwise if unregistered you will wait 15 sec. at startup.

Regarding the iGetter crashes, as we wrote before we need the iGetter crash log (it must be located at "Home/Library/Logs/CrashReporter" directory). It will help us find the reason for the crashes. Please include some steps to reproduce the problem. You don't mention your iGetter version, but make sure that you use that latest v2.1 of iGetter.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply