Downloads of FTP/HTTP site with password: broken
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

03-14-2005 11:45 PM

Posted by:
Jean-Yves Avenard

Find more posts by Jean-Yves Avenard

Since the last few revisions of iGetter it seems that when downloading from a FTP/HTTP site, the username/password isn't being transmitted from the web client to igetter.

For example, in Firefox or Safari you type a URL like:
ftp://username:password@ftp.site.com

Now you click on a file and iGetter starts downloading the file. The download stops almost instantly with the symbol "broken".
In the logs you can see that username/password isn't being transmitted and therefore you get an error.

The only way around this is to go into Preferences and enter a specific username/password for the site which is very annoying to do each time.

Is this a known problem and is there a way around it.

Thank you
Jean-Yves

03-14-2005 11:53 PM

Posted by:
Jean-Yves Avenard

Actually, it seems to be another problem...

In the "segments" link i can see that the connection has sent the user name and password

However, the download failed with the following trace:

--- Start request
Connecting to ftp.site.com
USER: xxx
331 Password required for xxx
PASS ......
230 User xxx logged in
TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
SIZE /dir1/dir2/file
550 /dir1/dir2/file
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (x,x,x)
REST 1
350 Restarting at 1. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to ...
REST 0
350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to ...
RETR /dir1/dir2/file
550 /dir1/dir2/file
QUIT
221 Goodbye.
Network error: 550

Now if I go into preferences and use the Site manager to enter a username/password for this site, the download will work properly.

This used to work...
Jean-Yves

03-15-2005 11:40 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Jean-Yves,
iGetter supports and accepts URLs in the form of ftp://user:pass@ftp.site.com/file.ext or http://user:pass@www.site.com/file.ext. When such URL is added to iGetter, it extracts the user name and password info and puts them in the Advanced tab panel of New URL or Item Settings dialog. iGetter sends this Login info at the first request. If iGetter receives a "530 Login incorrect" for FTP protocol or "401 Authorization required" for HTTP protocol, iGetter will look at the Site Manager for this site. Then iGetter sends a second request using the Site Manager LogIn info.

In your case it seems that the Login info used at first request is incorrect and iGetter sends the matching Login info from the Site Manager. Verify the Login info for your download at its Item Settings dialog, Advanced tab panel. It's possible that either the user name or password includes some special character which may cause an incorrect login.

Regards,
iGetter Support

03-15-2005 03:48 PM

Posted by:
Jean-Yves

Find more posts by Jean-Yves

So from this information is lost when it is sent from the web browser and mus tbe entered in iGetter again?

The idea is not to type anything and to simply click in the web browser to download a file and iGetter will then do everything.

03-31-2005 03:26 AM

Posted by:
Jean-Yves Avenard

Will iGetter ever supports downloading from protected web server without having to enter each time the username/password in the "Site Manager".
You're in Firefox, you enter your username/password: click on a download and iGetter downloads without worries.

Also no matter what, very often when downloading from a secure FTP site, I can see that it's logging allright, but then will generate a "Network Error"

This never used to happen with last year version of iGetter :(

04-01-2005 01:46 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by

iGetter 1.9.5 is working !

I found an old version of iGetter 1.9.5

And guess what:
It works just fine with this version.
All the username/password issues for FTP sites are gone.
It only happens since 2.0 (where you get "Network Error" when coming from a password protected FTP site.

Jean-Yves

04-04-2005 01:41 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Jean-Yves,
Downloading from a password protected FTP site is not the same thing as using a secure FTP. Secure FTP protocol uses two different methods for FTP transfer - FTP over SSL (Implicit - this works on port 995) and FTP over SSL (Explicit - this method is supported from some servers to encrypt control and/or data connections). Version 1.9.5 supports only plain FTP downloading. Note that not all of the public FTP servers support secure FTP protocol. You must ask the server owner (or try every secure method) in order to use some of the secure methods.

In other words, it seems that you must choose the plain FTP option, which is set by default, to avoid the network error.

Regards,
iGetter Support

04-07-2005 01:03 AM

Posted by:
Jean-Yves

But when did I ever mentioned I was downloading from a secure FTP?

I'm not. It's just a plain ftp server with username/password.

With iGetter 1.9.5 if I click in my web browser on the file to download, the download starts in iGetter just fine.

If I do the exact same thing with iGetter 2.2, the download will fail with a "Netword Error"

04-11-2005 06:43 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Jean-Yves,
We must reproduce the problem in order to fix it. So, please send us on igettersupport(at)presenta.net some example URL (without your user info) for testing. If you can't send it tell us from what FTP server you try to download - WU-FTPd, Pure-FTPd, etc.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

04-13-2005 04:27 AM

Posted by:
yves Ricimello

Find more posts by yves Ricimello

Broken download

I get broken downloads too.

I try to download from OSX built-in FTP server, from another Mac on the same airport network or from the office via the net.

I get two type of errors :
- sometimes I get 'invalid URL' and there is no way to aucn the download,
- sometimes I get broken downloads
I checked with and without password, with and without the manager site.

exemple with password :
331 Password required for yves
PASS ••••••••
230-
Welcome to Darwin!
230 User yves logged in.
…
SIZE /Documents/test.txt
550 /Documents/test.txt: not a plain file
…
RETR / /Documents/test.txt
550 /Documents/test.txt: No such file or directory

Is there a way to send you the log ?

All is OK with Fetch. In fact, I use Fetch to copy/paste the links to iGetter.

04-14-2005 08:16 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Yves,
There is a common problem with the Mac OS X built-in FTP server if you try to download from a user directory written in the form of ftp://server/~user/file.ext. In this case the problem is related to the misinterpretation of the "~" sign. This is a common problem with all FTP servers that use ls command to list files. To avoid this problem in iGetter you must use the full path of the user directory as ftp://server/Users/user/file.ext . Some FTP clients try to avoid the problem trying with different paths until they receive a positive answer. This may lead to other problems as downloading of a wrong file for example.

It's possible also that in your Fetch app you have more than one users available for the FTP URL. Each user name logs you in a directory set in your FTP server settings. For example if you are logged in as administrator the current path is / (root) and the file may be downloaded correctly.

Regards,
iGetter Support

04-18-2005 05:17 AM

Posted by:
Yves Ricimello

Find more posts by Yves Ricimello

Hello

It was a problem of path. Thank you for your support.

I have two other questions :
When downloading on a local wifi download, the speed is better with 1 segment than with 6 segments. It seems that theMac OS X built-in FTP server has by default no limit for downloading.
- Do you think that we can accelerate donwloads using several segments, with the same FTP server on a remote Internet networ, ?

Is there a way to save a list of sites to explore ?

Yves

04-25-2005 10:22 AM

Posted by:
Jean-Yves

FTP error

I'm using the default ftp server running on a FreeBSD 4.11 server.

05-01-2005 12:49 AM

Posted by:
Jean-Yves

Issue with iGetter, last version

To the iGetter team:

Can you please send me an email to:
jya1@hydrix.com

I will give you the login details and password to a ftp site which has problem with the new version of iGetter, but works fine with the old 1.9 version

Jean-Yves

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply