Interface Suggestions
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

04-19-2005 05:39 AM

Posted by:
Chris Corbettis

Find more posts by Chris Corbettis

Other than this recent OS X 10.3.9 problem, I've found iGetter makes a lot of difference to downloading music, but there are a few improvements I'd like to see.

First up, why can't links be dragged to the Dock icon to add? This is a very handy feature in iTunes and I use it all the time.

Downloaded file icons, it's either a problem with Finder, iGetter or both, but when a download is finished the icon doesn't always update and the incomplete iGetter icon remains.

Now I know the file's are complete and useable and that Force Quit > Relaunch Finder refreshes the icons and that a fix is doable, how else would Safari manage the same thing?

The toolbar, every OS X app that has a toolbar allows you to hide or show it and then between uses the last state is remembered, iGetter doesn't remember.

Which leads me to the window layout - it's a mess! Yuck, yuck and yuck again, I've hidden the toolbar, the transfer details, minimised the groups, use the Aqua interface and removed all but "File Name", "Size" and "Total Size" from the column views.

It's now something that is more fitting with the rest of Panther and it's good that these things can be modified. But why is the default so damn ugly? it's far too busy with much more than most people surely need to know to download a few files...

So my final suggestion (for now!) is the default should be tidied up and there could be a set of customisable themes in the window menu where they can be easily switched.

But really, thanks for the great application, it's a huge improvement over the standard Safari download window and I wouldn't be without it.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply