Mirrors and Joining Files
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

05-25-2005 08:15 PM

Posted by:
Jackal

Find more posts by Jackal

GetRight for Windows has a nice feature that I'd like to see implemented on iGetter: when opening two separate links for the same file (such as from different file mirrors), it senses that the files are the same (I think it checks the size and modification date) and then joins them together to provide you with a faster download.

For example, the main link for one of the game updates I regularly download is an FTP server that caps each connection at 5 KB/sec. One file mirror is on a server with uncapped bandwidth, though sometimes Internet congestion slows it down a bit. The second mirror is also uncapped but is on a slower connection. If I could get iGetter to recognize all three links as pointing to the same file (as I assume it does when it successfully finds a FileAvenue match), I'd be in business.

But not all download mirrors, especially for more obscure files, are listed in FileAvenue's mirror search, so this method of adding mirrors is very helpful then. Additionally, these new mirrors can be submitted to FileAvenue, contributing to the expanding selection of mirrors there.

I tried submitting the URLs manually to FileAvenue in hopes they will be listed when I next try a mirror search, but unfortunately, only game developers can submit download information by their web form. I could try downloading all three links separately in hopes they will be added to the FileAvenue database, but that doesn't do me any good (just the next guy), and besides, with the next update, the filename will change and I'll have to do that all over again.

How hard would this be to implement?

05-27-2005 06:28 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Jack,
Since v2 iGetter allows you to enter custom mirrors for any download additionally to those found in FileAvenue. You can do this by opening the download's "Item Settings" dialog, then choose the Mirrors tab and enter all custom mirrors. They will appear in the download's mirrors table along with the mirrors found in FileAvenue.

As of submission to FileAvenue, it's obvious that as many users use the "Share mirror" option as more mirrors could be found. We are open to receive suggestions and the idea to allow users to submit multiple mirrors for one file is very good.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply