unusually fast download speed
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

09-28-2005 09:02 AM

Posted by:
Jim Craig

Find more posts by Jim Craig

I use iGetter (sorry, at this point I wait the 15 seconds for it to start) and I've submitted this phenomenon to Baseboard with no luck. Please, what is going on? I live in the woods, modem, bad phone lines and I get on at 26.4. iGetter is necessary because I get cut off so often. Download speeds are normally 2.4 to 2.6 k a sec. BUT, this week downloading Adobe CS2 updates (Specifically Acrobat 701 and 701 updates) by going to site, copying link address into iGetter - speed ranged from 10 to 12 k a sec, downloading each 100 meg file in about 2.5 hours. I'm on a Mac, os10.42, regular internal modem. Began both downloads in AOL and then in Safari to check, and both ways they tried to download normal-slow. Rechecked the next day in iGetter - wow. But, no other downloads seem to do this. Problem is, everybody acts as if I've seen a UFO. Thanks for any info.

10-16-2005 07:49 PM

Posted by:
Ilgaz

Find more posts by Ilgaz

Its possible with modem compression (hardware) but impossible if the file already compressed.

In case of a V92 compression, its improved a lot so a losely compressed zip file could give such speed.

If you are frequent on usenet or get lots of text based mails, you will see 20kb/sec. Thats the modem compression kicking in and its real.

04-09-2006 04:45 PM

Posted by:
davidlaska

Find more posts by davidlaska

sure, with a mode.........

there where times when my 56k gglobal village would be downloading 7k to 12 k which I thouh was amazing. It was a V 90 and not 92. I though I was happy but now I got dsl and that won,t make me happy,

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply