Contextual menu broken with Camino 1.0b1
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

11-11-2005 06:20 AM

Posted by:
Robert

Find more posts by Robert

I've just upgraded my version of Camino to v1.0b1 and noticed that the iGetter contextual menus have now disappeared when I use this browser. They are still there in Safari. If I click on a download link it is still passed to iGetter. I've tried disabling contextual menu support and browser integration in iGetter, then re-enabling it, but with no success. I'm using OS X 10.3.9.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

11-15-2005 07:22 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Robert,
Since version 1.0a1 Camino developers have changed the bundle identifier from org.mozilla.navigator to org.mozilla.camino. This causes disappearing of the iGetter contextual menu commands. We will investigate the problem a little more and will try to solve it in the next release of iGetter.

For now, you can start iGetter and then use the "Copy Link Location" contextual menu command (see that the iGetter "Monitor Clipboard" Tools menu function is on) or just click on the download link and wait iGetter to intercept the download.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

11-15-2005 07:40 AM

Posted by:
Robert

Thanks. That's what I have been doing.

Unfortunately, just clicking on the download link doesn't always pass the download to iGetter. With some web sites (eg yousendit.com) it just starts the download in the browser's own download manager. Is that something you may also be able to fix in a future release or is it a limitation of the technology?

Thanks, for a really great product. I use it a lot, which is why I'm keen to get the contextual menu back with my favourite browser.

04-15-2006 12:03 PM

Posted by:
Robert

iGetter 2.5 and Camino

Well 5 months has elapsed since I first reported the problem of iGetter contextual menus not appearing in Camino and we finally have a new version of iGetter. But alas, STILL no contextual menu in Camino (and none in Firefox either).

That's despite the following claim on the iGetter info page:
" iGetter integrates with Internet Explorer, Firefox (Win), Safari (Mac), Camino (Mac), and iCab (Mac) via a contextual menu for hyperlinks".

But it seems it still doesn't. Is this ever going to be fixed?

The workaround of getting iGetter to monitor the clipboard is all very well, but it means when I copy and paste a URL I often end up downloading a file that I didn't mean to download.

I like iGetter as a download manager, but the fact that it only works properly with Safari is getting to be a bit frustrating.

04-18-2006 10:31 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Robert,
Unfortunately, Camino developers provide a dynamically changing contextual menu API which we must follow with every Camino release. Otherwise, Camino may start crashing and fortunately changing of their bundle identifier in v1.x avoided such problem. At a given time Camino/Mozilla developers mark some interfaces as frozen and third party developers can use them without any problem. Until this time we can only wait functions that we use in Camino to appear as frozen. iGetter contextual menu integration works well with Camino 0.x versions which we updated on the iGetter info page.

As of Firefox contextual menu integration we recommend you the FlashGot extension which works well with iGetter.

Regards,
iGetter Support

04-21-2006 02:31 PM

Posted by:
Robert

Thanks for the response.

I appreciate that Camino is subject to bug fixes and addition of new features in later releases. However version 1.0 is the formally released, frozen, stable release. Versions 0.x were beta releases. So I'm a bit surprised that you haven't chosen to get iGetter working with the official, frozen version of Camino, although it does work with the beta versions.

Most users of Camino will surely be using version 1.0.

04-23-2006 11:22 AM

Posted by:
Ilgaz

Find more posts by Ilgaz

Problem of opensource

I love Camino and I think it is only open source application worth using on OS X but it shares the same problem of open source, wide applications. Someone changes something and it gets into source without thinking about consequences.

Camino has a very nice lead developer (human wise), you should contact them about this "bundle change" and what it causes.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply