iGetter not working with Gmail attachments on Mac
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

01-14-2006 02:39 PM

Posted by:
John M

Find more posts by John M

I'm running iGetter with the FlashGot extension on Firefox. When I get an attachment in my Gmail, iGetter attempts to download it, but it only has an index.html file sitting in its list of files it is attempting to download and it never completes them. Any thoughts?

01-16-2006 09:54 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello John,
You can try to click on the attachment link and then just wait iGetter to intercept the download automatically.

Regards,
iGetter Support

01-20-2006 12:02 AM

Posted by:
John M

iGetter still not working with Gmail

I'm doing what I think you suggested. iGetter does intercept the thing I'm trying to download, but instead of having a file downloading in iGetter like most other links give me, with gmail, I just end up with an index.html file. If I click the "Segments" tab, it says I'm getting a network error of -9816.

01-24-2006 01:58 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello John,
Most probably the problem is related to an authentication error. You can try to open the completed index.html file to see what is the reason for this error. Currently, we don't have a gmail account and can't test it with iGetter (Google has not opened this service for the public, yet).

Regards,
iGetter Support

02-17-2006 02:36 AM

Posted by:
Stephen

Find more posts by Stephen

John,

I had the same problem with Gmail, I'm running Firefox / Flashgot / iGetter combo.

The only resolution I could come up with is don't use iGetter to download the attachments within Gmail. I have a feeling its a shortcoming of iGetter in regards to cookies but I haven't had time to look into it.

What I found does work is to disable Flashgot so Firefox will ask you how you want to download the attachment. To do this within Firefox, make sure the following is UNticked: Tools -> Flashgot -> Autostart downloads.

Then try and download the attachment (save to disk), by choosing to download within Firefox - that works fine.

P.S iGetter admin if you want an account on gmail to troubleshoot this send me an email to gmail @ stephen.mills and I will send you an invite.

Stephen

02-17-2006 05:53 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Stephen,
Thank you for your invitation. A short investigation around the problem showed that Google use a couple of authentication cookies that expire at the end of the browser session. That means that these cookies are not accessible from external applications as iGetter.

The solution is: turn on the "Remember me on this computer" option when you login to Gmail. Now, try to download any attachment with iGetter. It must work just fine. Then, click on the "Sign Out" Gmail link and you will be no longer remembered on that machine. Note that if you sign out and try to resume the file you will get "Network error: The server reports it cannot resume the download now.". So use the "Sign Out" link only when you finish your download with iGetter.

Regards,
iGetter Support

02-20-2006 10:51 AM

Posted by:
John M

Still not working with Gmail

I've done as you suggested, signing in with "remember me" clicked, but I get the same behavior. Are you having success with downloading from Gmail following these instructions? I'm still getting an "index.html" file perminently stuck in the iGetter Download window. No downloading actually happens.

02-22-2006 05:37 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello John,
What versions of iGetter and Firefox do you use? Did you try it with other browser?

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply