Forums Home | FAQ | Search  
Forums > iGetter for Mac OS X
iGetter hogs network...
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

07-19-2006 10:42 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by Nick

I have tried to use iGetter twice and both times my IT director came in and shut me down saying the network crawled to a halt at the router when I was downloading (I had 'obey speed limit' turned off). He said it was jumping around on different ports and was convinced it was a virus or malware so he began to monitor the router and tracked it back to my G5. I work for a very large company so I know it's not the network infastructure. Can anyone explain why iGetter would hog resources from the router more so than if I was just using an FTP client? I had the downloads limited to three at a time.

Thanks for any insight!

07-20-2006 05:56 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Nick,
Bandwidth consumption of iGetter depends on the Acceleration settings that you've chosen in the iGetter Preferences, Acceleration panel. In example the 10 Mbps option uses by default 7 segments for each download (which means 21 connections at a time in your case). You can adjust the value of the default number of segments to 1-2 and the "Max simultaneous downloads" (at General panel) to 1 if you want iGetter to download as an usual FTP client or browser. However, for corporate networks it's advisable also to use the speed limit function. Just turn on the "Obey Speed Limit" function and then adjust the speed limit slider (at the right bottom corner).

iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply