< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

09-17-2006 09:22 AM

Posted by:
bueller

Find more posts by bueller

I'm using a MacBook with OS 10.4.7.

I have "redial if disconnected" checked in the IGetter dock icon. Yet, IGetter never redials my internet provider. I can watch it when my computer gets disconnected and it will not redial. Since I do most of my downloading overnight, this is important to me.

09-19-2006 02:43 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

If you have both modem and Ethernet connections you must disable (or unplug) the Ethernet interface temporarily for the redial and hang-up functions to work properly.

Regards,
iGetter Support

09-20-2006 12:03 PM

Posted by:
bueller

I don't use Ethernet, and I turned it off in network prefs just to be sure. Still, IGetter never redials my PPP connection.

09-22-2006 05:15 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Bueller,
iGetter can control modems that Mac OS X sees as PPP devices. Since MacBook machines don't include internal modem may be you are using an AirPort modem which iGetter can't control. What kind of modem you use?

Other possible reasons are:

1. There aren't downloads in progress.
2. Your "PPP attempts timeout '#' sec." value at iGetter preferences, Connections options is too big or you have not waited the 60 sec. timeout which is set by default.

Regards,
iGetter Support

09-23-2006 09:03 AM

Posted by:
bueller

I'm using an external Apple USB modem. Does IGetter support this, or is there a chance it will in future?

09-26-2006 05:50 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Bueller,
iGetter supports any modem that Mac OS X sees as such. Unfortunately, we don't have a MacBook with an Apple USB modem to tell you where the problem may be hidden, but you may try the following (we assume that you haven't changed your iGetter preferences):

1. Open the System Preferences, Network panel and show the external modem preferences. On the "PPP" tab panel you should enter your password and check the "Save Password" option. At the "Modem" tab panel you may turn on the sound and see if you have chosen the right modem model. Confirm and close the preferences.

2. Run iGetter, turn on the "Redial if disconnected" function and start some download. It should go into waiting state. Choose the "Segments" tab panel and select the first segment. There you must see: "Network error: The Internet connection is down. We will try again when the connection is resumed.".

3. Wait a little more than 60 sec. You must hear your modem dialing. If you don't there is really a problem. If you hear it dialing, but the connection drops thereafter, then your authentication or some of the modem settings are not configured well or the line is busy. iGetter will try to redial after another 60 sec.

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply