Using cookies from browsers
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

02-22-2007 07:50 AM

Posted by:
R

Find more posts by R

Hemscott is a UK finanancial data site providing useful data on thousands of companies. A typical URL is http://www.hemscott.com/companies/share-trades.do?companyId=4663

The site requires a user name and password. Failure to log-in results in diversion to a default page. Using my user name and password, I am able to view single pages in Safari or download multiple pages using Internet Explorer, but the latter is labour-intensive.

I am attempting multiple downloads using iGetter with these settings:

1 In the integation preferences, "send cookies from browser" is checked.
2 In Site Manager, the user name and password are given for www.hemscott.com/companies.

The file names are then loaded from a spreadsheet using Applescript.

In the item settings, the cookie is shown as coming from Safari, the default browser. So, before starting the iGetter download, I log in to Hemscott using Safari, presumably getting the correct cookies. They certainly look ok. I then start the download.

My problem is that the above does not work, producing downloads only of the default request for login page, and I don't know why.

Using Intenet Explorer as the cookie source DOES work, but only if the cookie source item setting of each file is edited, one by one. For thousands of files, this is impracticable.

Selecting all the download files as a whole and then editing the item settings for all does not work, the individual file settings remaining unchanged. Changing the default browser to Internet Explorer fails to change the default cookie source in the item settings, even after restarting.

What determines the default cookie source setting? If it is the default browser, how does one get it to update after the default browser changes?

Is there some way of changing the item setting of all the download files in one go?

Is there an easier way?

Best wishes,

R

02-26-2007 07:16 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

In the current version the default browser for grabbing the cookie is Safari, but it would be fine if you can set this option for all new downloads. So we added your request in the iGetter "To Do" list.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

09-29-2007 12:01 PM

Posted by:
V

Find more posts by V

Is this implemented yet?

Is it possible to be able to have igetter cookie set to say firefox by default rather then safari?

Thanks

10-03-2007 05:49 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Version 2.6.1 added support for session cookies. But the feature that "R" requested is not implemented yet.

Regards,
iGetter Support

12-10-2007 05:07 PM

Posted by:
Thierry Bechard

Find more posts by Thierry Bechard

Cookie problem too

I have a similar problem. I use Firefox as my default browser because of the Flashgot addin. It allows me to select a number of links, right-click and choose 'FlashGot Selection' which is really handy. I use it a lot for Rapidshare downloads. I have my Premium user Username and password saved in Site Manager (this works fine) but my problem is with the cookie. When I right click and choose Item Settings/advanced, the cookie is always set on Safari which always causes my downloads to fail. As soon as I change that to either Firefox or iGetter, everything works perfectly. I have tried everything I could to get that cookie setting to automatically be set for Firefox, in vain. It always says Safari. And I have to change each link individually. What am I not doing right? Please help.

12-11-2007 08:34 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Hello Thierry,
Unfortunately, the FlashGot developer didn't updated his extension since April, 2007 to conform with the latest iGetter AppleScript events and this causes the problem with cookies in iGetter. So we implemented our own Firefox contextual menu commands that send session cookies. They will appear in the forthcoming version of iGetter.

Regards,
iGetter Support

12-12-2007 04:29 AM

Posted by:
Thierry Bechard

Find more posts by Thierry Bechard

Sounds good. Thanks.

I just realized that if I do not use the Flashgot addin in Firefox and simply copy/paste the url in iGetter the cookie is correctly set to Firefox and all's well. I guess, as you pointed out, that the problem is with Flasgot then.

Often RS share links are not hyperlinks and in Safari, the only way is copy and paste URLs one by one in iGetter wheres in Firefox with the Flasgot addin you select, right-click and choose 'selection' which is really cool. Looking forward to seeing something like this in the next iGetter upgrade.

Cheers.
Thierry.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply