Broken segments won't resume
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

03-18-2007 06:55 PM

Posted by:
Mr.Clicky

Find more posts by Mr.Clicky

Hi iGetters, I am having a problem with broken segments. For example I have 3 files downloading from the same source each with 9-11 segments. Of the frst 5 segemnts downloaded the 4th one will be broken (this si just an example as the numbers vary in each). No matter what I do they won't resume (I've tried waitng, alternative mirrors etc) and there's no problem with my firewall.

Any suggestions?

thanks

03-19-2007 06:58 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Did you try to decrease the default number of segments at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel. Most probably you download files from servers that apply limit on the number of connections to them. What error you receive for the broken segments (choose the "Segments" tab and then select some of the broken segments).

Regards,
iGetter Support

03-19-2007 09:16 AM

Posted by:
Mr.Clicky

Find more posts by Mr.Clicky

Thanks for the reply, I reduced segments in preferences from 5 to 2 but no luck. The error info is:

HTTP/1.1 403 Access Forbidden
Connection: close
Content-Type:text/html
Accept-ranges:bytes

Network error: 403 HTTP/1.1 403 Access Forbidden

What do you think?

Mr.C

03-20-2007 05:57 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

There are two possible reasons for the reported error:

1. You need to enter your authentication info either in the Item Settings dialog, Advanced panel, of each download or in the Site Manager.

2. Or the server has banned your IP address for some time.

Regards,
iGetter Support

03-21-2007 08:28 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by

Hmm, curious, I don't have any auth info as it's a public domaindownload (via http) and I managed to subsequently download it via Safari so the IP must be free and clear. Very odd.

Mr.C.

03-22-2007 10:42 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

If it's a filefront.com download you may receive the error on random occasion. Also if you use multiple segments on filefront downloads you need to get a new file URL from the same download page when some of the segments goes in broken state. You can use the FlashGot extension of Firefox to easily add such URLs to iGetter through the "Save As" dialog.

If it's not a filefront.com download then the problem is either the User agent, a cookie or the Range HTTP entity. You can try to set a different User agent at iGetter preferences, Advanced panel. If it's a cookie then you should wait the next v2.6 (we will release it soon). It already supports session cookies (which expire at browser window closing). In the last case for sites that don't like the "Range" entity (a part of the HTTP protocol) we should use a new logic. Unfortunately such sites limit resuming at all. (This is a work for our next major release).

Regards,
iGetter Support

03-26-2007 06:30 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by

thanks very much for the info and detailed responses

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply