< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

03-19-2007 05:37 AM

Posted by:
Ralf

Find more posts by Ralf

Hi,

I need some expert help. I am downloading avi files from a server and was igetter was recommended as the download manager of the day. I have installed igetter today to test it.

Suddenly I experienced a slow down of my Internet connection - more like an intermittent service interruption. Checked the router (plugged the Ethernet cable from the cable modem directly into the iMac) and called my provider to check on a defect. Nothing. The time between down and up time varied a lot.

When I restarted the cable modem (or router - same result) the Internet connection was working again for a few minutes then slowed down again and dropped. I am sure that igetter is the culprit because when I close igetter immediatley the connection is as fast as before.

Another issue is that when the files is almost downloaded (around 95 - 99%) ieggeter displays waiting and connecting and takes a long time to load the last few MB.

I like the product and want to buy but with this issue it will be a no go for me.

Thanks in advance for some advice.

Best regards

Ralf

03-19-2007 07:15 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Hello Ralf,
iGetter just uses the maximum available bandwidth, so when you want to free some bandwidth to other applications/machines you have to use the iGetter speed limit function. Just turn on the "Obey Speed Limit" option (menu Tools) and then adjust the speed limit slider (at the right bottom corner). As of waiting state at 99% you can adjust the "Minimal segment size" value at iGetter preferences, Acceleration panel, to 1024 KB or more. This way iGetter may create less segments, but the chance to reconnect at the end of the file will decrease.

Regards,
iGetter Support

03-20-2007 05:57 AM

Posted by:
Ralf

Find more posts by Ralf

igetter slows my Internet connection down

Hi,

thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I fully understand that igetter uses the full bandwidth available and by doing so taking away the speed from other Internet accessing applications. This however is not my problem!

iGetter slows down my Internet connection itself - what happens is that the download speed of igetter goes down to 3- max 12 kb/s and any other application (such as mail or safari) ar unable to access the Internet at all. The moment I quit igetter the normal speed is back within 1- 3 minutes! The ugly thing is that I cannot reproduce the problem it will occur at will.

I already checked my Apple N router and by-passed the router (directly from cable modem into the iMac) without any differnce.

To be safe I have also contacted my provide to check their gateways and to ping my modem to see whther they can find any problem with the cable modem or with their equipment.

Best regards

Ralf

03-21-2007 11:22 PM

Posted by:
Ralf

Find more posts by Ralf

igetter causes losses in Internet connection on cable modem

Hi,

have consulted my provider and they monitored my connection. When I am downloading something igetter they confirmed a lot of losses. The moment I close igetter or pause/stop all downlaods the internet connection works perfectly without any loss or drops. I have a very wide bandwidth and my connection allows up to 32000 kb/s in download speed.

They are investigating further on their end but I am still very much sure that igetter is causing the problem. They have already aksed me whther it is possible to use another download manager. Luckily I tested first and have not yet purchased!

Anyone any idea how to solve the problem?
Thanks

Regards

Ralf

03-22-2007 09:06 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

To avoid the problem try the following:
1. Open the iGetter preferences from menu iGetter.
2. Select the General tab and set the "Max simultaneous downloads" value to 2.
3. Now select the Acceleration tab and choose T1 connection type.
3. Set the "Default number of segments" value to 3.
4. Close the preferences dialog.
5. Now turn on the "Obey Speed Limit" command (menu Tools) and then adjust the speed limit slider at the right bottom corner.

If your provider has a limit on the size of TCP packets (a very rare case) you can choose a 256 Cable/DSL or Dual ISDN connection type in the iGetter preferences, Acceleration tab panel.

Note that iGetter shows speeds in KB/s which is 8 x kb/s (i.e. 32000 kb/s is 4000 KB/s). Cable modems theoretically support 30 Mbps, but the real speed is between 1 Mbps and 6 Mbps bandwidth for downloads. iGetter should reach speeds between 128 KB/s and 768 KB/s on such modems.

Regards,
iGetter Support

P.S.: You can make some tests with a HD 720p streaming videos in QuickTime at this address: http://www.apple.com/trailers/. You should watch them without interruption.

10-21-2007 12:15 AM

Posted by:
MeToo

Find more posts by MeToo

My guess is it's slowing down your whole system.

I've always had this problem with iGetter. It's great at creating a queue and downloading, but really slows down your file system when completing downloads. So EACH time a file completes, it can lag your system for 10-60 seconds. . . I assume while it moves all the data from a temporary location to the final file, updates the desktop database, and updates its own queue list.

So iGetter definitely makes downloading large numbers of files more convient, but definitely not faster.

For example when I wanted to download a friend's wedding pictures (about 600 files), I cued them up and then started. But jpgs are so small and they downloaded in seconds, but then the UI would lock up for about another 45 seconds before the next download started. I've tried changing the max number of downloads from 2 to 10 and it never seems to affect the overall download time. IE, when 10 downloads are going, you can watch them downloading until the first one completes, then the entire UI hangs whil it writes to disk. It DOES continue to download the others in the background, but any completed slot will be unusable until the 30-60 seconds of updating the files system.

So it's MUCH faster to just download large amounts of files right in Explorer, but of course not as convenient because you have to click on each file to download.

10-22-2007 10:27 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

You can try to disable the "Post process files" option (iGetter preferences, General panel) as well as "When download is finished scan for viruses" option (iGetter preferences, Advanced panel). Also, when your system hangs try to open the "Activity Monitor" app (/Applications/Utilities), sort by CPU and select the app that hangs. Then push the "Inspect" button and make a "Sample". This sample can help us find where the problem is hidden so you can send it to our support form: http://www.igetter.net/igetterfeedback.html

Regards,
iGetter Support

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply