Multiple monitor support - Macintosh
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

04-18-2007 10:42 PM

Posted by:
anon

Find more posts by anon

All these years and iGetter *still* does not fully support multiple monitors. I thought that by 2.6 this would be fixed. But it isn't.

Specifically iGetter should remember the position of its windows. Where ever a window is placed by the user on the monitors iGetter should redraw them in those same positions the next time those windows need to be recreated.

In the case of the main window this would be across launches. In the case of the preferences window that would be whenever the preferences are selected (across or within launches).

iGetter is one of the few (and only one I can think of at the moment) Mac applications that doesn't remember its window position(s).

04-19-2007 05:51 AM

Posted by:
Ilgaz

Find more posts by Ilgaz

I got 2 monitor setup too and iGetter always opens in secondary monitor, maximised. Of course I have set it that way

A preferences problem on your machine? I am asking since I think Apple stores the window preferences in Application prefs and iGetter seems to store its own too.

Get "Prefedit" (freeware) from Bresink.eu and check iGetter preferences with it.

(com.presenta.igetter)

I guess it is "WinHeight" etc settings you should check

04-19-2007 09:11 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Anon,
We tested iGetter 2.5/6 on a MacBook Pro and MacPro machines with dual monitors and on both iGetter performed well. Would you please be more specific on how your monitors are arranged and what software/driver manages them.

Thanks,
iGetter Support

04-19-2007 01:57 PM

Posted by:
anon

Find more posts by anon

I am using OS X 10.4.9. Monitors are arranged left and right with the right being the primary monitor (both 17 inch displays). My right monitor is my main monitor (i.e., the one with the menu bar).

Upon launch iGetter's main window always comes up in the upper right of the main (right) monitor. I move the window to the upper left of the secondary (left) monitor. If I open the preferences its window comes up on centered on the main (right) monitor. If I move it to the left monitor, close it, and then reopen it, it again comes up centered on the main (right) monitor. If I quit and relaunch the main window again is redrawn in the upper left of the main (right) monitor.

I looked at the plist (com.presenta.iGetter.plist). It indeed does have entries to record window position, width, and height (winHeight, winLeft, windTop, winWidth). But upon doing some experimentation I think I understand what the problem is. While the window size and top values are correctly remembered, the horizontal (winLeft) position is not correct. It appears to limit itself to the main (right) monitor coordinates.

For example, I can move the main window anywhere on the main monitor and upon relaunch the window position is correctly remembered. But if I move the window to, say, the bottom left of the secondary (left) monitor, then upon relaunch, it will appear at the bottom left of the main (right) monitor. Or if I move it to the middle of the left monitor then upon relaunch it will appear at the middle left edge of the main monitor. In other words the winLeft is being "truncated" (so to speak) to the edge of the main (right) monitor.

I suspect the problem is more general than that depending on the monitor arrangement but I didn't try those experiments. For example I bet the winLeft would be limited to the right end of the main monitor if the monitors were arranged with the main monitor on the left and the secondary on the right. And I also assume that even the vertical (windTop) would be wrong if one was silly enough to arrange the monitors one on top of the other :-)

As for the preferences window I see nothing in the plist to indicate that position is ever saved. So that explains why it is always displayed centered on the main (right) monitor even if I move it within the main monitor.

04-19-2007 02:52 PM

Posted by:
anon

Find more posts by anon

Ilgaz wrote:

> I got 2 monitor setup too and iGetter always opens
> in secondary monitor, maximised. Of course I have
> set it that way

> A preferences problem on your machine? I am asking
> since I think Apple stores the window preferences
> in Application prefs and iGetter seems to store
> its own too.

I am at a loss to explain why you say iGetter remembers the window position for you unless your definition of "secondary monitor" is the one with your menu bar :-)

As for preferences, it is always the application and its *own preferences* that are responsible for positioning its windows. So it must be iGetter's own plist info and as I explained in my previous post it appears to be pinning to the edge of the main (menu bar) monitor. No other preferences should be involved here.

By the way, FWIW, I did run an experiment where I forced iGetter to recreate its plist to get a "fresh" copy. The problem still exists.

04-19-2007 02:57 PM

Posted by:
anon

Find more posts by anon

This is completely off topic but why doesn't this bulletin board facility support quoting of replys and editing of one's own replys? I entered an email in place of the name in my previous post which I cannot edit and notice I had to manually do quoting.

05-12-2007 05:36 AM

Posted by:

Find more posts by

2.6.1 has no change mishandling the multiple monitors :-(

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply