< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread    Post New Thread     Post A Reply

04-27-2007 01:47 PM

Posted by:
MartinC

Find more posts by MartinC

Well,

sometimes bugs get fixed in a way that makes it even worse...

Unless I didn't see some nice prefs-setting, I have the following problem:

iGetter 1.5 never checked multiple URLs for me, so whenever I added:
- www.exampledomain.com/directory/sample1.jpg
- www.exampledomain.com/directory/sample1.jpg

then iGetter would add both copies to the queue:
- sample1.jpg
- sample1 1.jpg

So far, so bad.

Now I tried iGetter 1.6 and the good news is that it now checks. But the *bad* news is that it checks the filename (!) rather than the entire URL. So if I try to add:
- www.exampledomain.com/some_directory/sample1.jpg
- www.exampledomain.com/different_directory/sample1.jpg

then it only adds the first file and *prompts* me how to handle the second. This may be a feature for some folks, but I find it very annoying, since identical names for different files (especially on different servers) are very common.

Is there any way to turn off the dialog and just let iGetter add:
- sample1.jpg
- sample1 1.jpg

by default? For me it would be perfectly fine if it would just check the *entire* URL to stop downloading identical files twice.

04-29-2007 09:23 PM

Posted by:
Ilya

Find more posts by Ilya

Worse than that: if you download from certain forums written in php, where every attachment is seen as attachment.php until you actually start downloading, it asks the same idiotic question every time! The quick solution to this one is to add check box "apply this answer to all" to the dialog, or better yet just make this choice a tunable setting in Preferences. Until this is done, I'm dumping 2.6 in favor of 2.5

04-30-2007 12:50 PM

Posted by:
MartinC

Find more posts by MartinC

The real solution is to dump it for good... the whole internet is full of identical filenames and the same filename on a different server is virtually *never* a mirror.

Just think about galleries - among the core features of iGetter is the ability to download all "pic1.jpg" to some "pic20.jpg" from the same index.html, but as soon as you try to load the *next* gallery page, then iGetter 2.6 will nag you with twenty dialog boxes in a row...

So... PLEASE... get rid of this "feature" as soon as possible. Just check for entire URLs and that's it.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply